OMG Cakewalk is so difficult

Reaction score
I have been tinkering with CAkewalk and I can't get it to work.
The JUNO Daw Control works fine.
I just get no sound. I found instructions on Roland's website to download a INF file for all the juno sounds and i followed the instructions. But in cakewalk i get no sound.
I've tried both audio file and instrument.
Is there a good video explaining the process? I haven't found one.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I hope for your sake that when you installed Cakewalk by Bandlab that you selected the BASIC install and NOT the ADVANCED.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, a lot of the hidden menus in Cakewalk can be accessed by right clicking on the controls.

It takes some exploration but this should help you out.

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
I've tried both audio file and instrument.
Is there a good video explaining the process? I haven't found one.
I had the same problem but with different instrument. If you have time check Reaper DAW. In my modest opinion this is the best DAW for external instruments and keyboards. I am actually using it for my E463. You can use it or evaluate indefinitely or buy it for really modest price ( 60 bucks ) and finally you can make portable install ( no installation in program files ).
See this video for External Keyboard or Synth in REAPER
If you want to learn more about REAPER then check this video tutorial series here. Again I never saw this kind of dedicated video support for any other DAW and I pretty much checked them all.

Just a suggestion.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaper and Cakewalk both cost nothing to try and use forever if you feel no guilt about being on your Day 6,478 of your evaluation with Reaper.

I've used both and what I find severely lacking in Reaper is the ability to import and export MID format SMF files. It can do it, but it really messes them up in the process.

To me it matters, because I like to sometimes "borrow" a canned drum truck or bassline from an online MID file or simply to inspect those tracks in the Staff View in Cakewalk.

What's important for you, only you know, but there's no harm in putting both DAWs on the same system and testing them both out simultaneously.

Also, there's literally thousands of Cakewalk Tutorials on Youtube for older versions as well as the latest, but sometimes the sheer number can make it difficult to find the one that you want. The program has been around since the early 80's so it has evolved into something of an industry standard. The good news is that most the basic functions and interface design have evolved and borrowed from earlier designs to become intuitive and logical once you gain a basic understanding.

Reaper's been on the market now for about 12 years or so and I don't know if it will possess the stamina that Cakewalk has undergone seeing at least 3 or 4 changes of company ownership in the last 4 decades and still going strong. :)

Whichever DAW you choose, learn it well and it will serve you well for decades to come.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Reaper caused me hours of frustration, it just would not run on my Asus Laptop, whereas Cakewalk and Ableton work just fine.

Hence if you try other DAWs and they give you issues it may well be a compatibility problem

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have Cakewalk by Bandlab on my Livingroom computer where my Juno DS is located.

I have no issues with compatibility.

It may be in the Edit / System / MIDI Menu of the Juno DS.

At the very bottom of the page you must select which driver you are using.

I run Linux so I have mine set to Generic.

Otherwise, if you have the Roland Driver installed you have to choose that one.

Also make sure MDI LOCAL is set to ON, The next two MIDI channels should be 1 and 16 respectively, anxd then all the settings should be set to ON and finally set the internal MIDI Driver. If one doesn't work, then try the other one.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I jus be a complete YouTube dumbass.
Actually in one of the videos it mentioned a driver setting for ASIO. I didn’t see that before. So now I have sound but only when using instrument not audio. I’m sure it’s something really silly and I have to tinker some more.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, remember that the USB cable only connects the MIDI data to your computer.

If you want to record Audio into the computer you will need an extra cable or cables connecting your Audio Line OUTs on the Juno to the Soundcard's Line IN on your computer. Or you can connect to a separate Audio Interface connected to another USB port on your computer.

To connect to your computer's Audio Line IN you would need a cable like this one of appropriate length up to 12 or 15 ft long maximum.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I believe the Juno does audio o Er the usb cable too.
it worked when I used the trial version of Logic Pro.

Reaction score
I’ll have to try again. But you’re probably right because you know more than me. Then you just solved my no sound problem.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a diagram of how I have my Juno DS hooked up.

Flowchart-studio-b-2020.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I found this today. The Juno does support audio through usb too. I see you have presonus monitors. I just ordered some today.
BCC64860-260C-47CC-87A9-8BF4CF5F2291.png

Ask a Question