On-board sounds vs MIDI/VST setups

Reaction score
So, after browsing this forum, it seems that most people tend to use the on-board sounds for keyboards. I used to do this in my earlier performance days, mostly out of convenience and well, not really knowing how to do anything else. I remember going to Guitar Center and asking 'how can I play the sounds from Reaper live?'.. and getting scoffed at. shocker.

though after years of trial/error and technology improvement.. I have since moved to running live midi through a laptop, running Reaper as the DAW, allowing me to use any VST I want for each patch. This is has been, IMO, so much better than being confined to the sounds given in a single keyboard. I also much prefer using midi controllers instead of big workstation keyboards, as I really enjoy playing the keytar style boards (I have customized a few of my controllers to have straps for stand-up playing).I also use a wireless MIDI transmitter from my keytar to the rig, which has allowed the freedom to move around on stage.

What are your thoughts/experiences with one vs the other?

- Tuomas Easton
http://www.tuomaseaston.com/

Reaction score
I use 2 lightweight Casio boards. I own a Muse Receptor and have used it to host VST's for live performance in the past. Now days it's just one more piece of gear I don't have to move. I still regularly use the VST's with my DAW though. Don

Ask a Question