On stage kb stand

Reaction score
Thanks for having me on this forum. This might sound like a terribly stupid question but I can't get a clear answer searching the web for images because I'm seeing images of both choices being right. Which way does a keyboard face on a on stage Z stand? There are just as many images on the internet of them facing what I believe to be the wrong way as there are with pictures facing the opposite. The instructions absolutely give you no clue as to which way the keyboard is supposed to sit on the stand. I've been performing all my life but I've never had a z stands till now. I've always been using my ultimate.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I guess it's a matter of personal preference and doesn't really matter. If the stand has one or more bars or plates going across to join the two slanted/vertical bars together, then I'd personally want to orient the stand such that my feet can easily go under the stand for pressing a sustain pedal-- so if you were looking at the stand from the side, I'd want to be sitting to the right of the Z rather than to the left:

Z yes

no Z

In other words:

back Z front

Reaction score
On stage just contacted me and said that this is the proper way see image attached. This is obviously not very clear to anyone because both answers given below by you guys were the opposite LOL

https://goo.gl/images/GkmbfK
This looks right to me.
Like what Michael just said.
Ray

Attachments

• received_10155882204739812.jpeg
    received_10155882204739812.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 366

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ray's pic has it right.

Easiest way to see it is when you add a second tier.

onstage-dual-z-stand.jpg

With that arrangement there really is only one possible correct orientation.

And this video from Onstage pretty much spells it out for you.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
With the Roland Z stand that Ray posted a picture of, I'd say it could go either way, since there's only one cross bar and it's high up enough that it shouldn't get in the way of your feet or knees when using pedals.

But in the picture from On Stage, the lower of the two cross bars might or might not get in the way of pressing any foot pedals, depending on how far forward or backward the pedals are placed and whether you're sitting down or standing up.

As far as the second tier, I'm not sure but I think the second tier can be attached to either side, since it should just be a question of removing the plastic caps so you can slide the feet of the second tier into the holes.

On a same-but-different note, I'm currently using a pair of double-X stands, and at one time-- when I had just one X stand-- I used to set the stand to its tallest setting, then turn it on its side so I could lay my keyboard across one of the "top" bars and one of the "bottom" bars. Fortunately, the top and bottom bars were at the same height as each other in that position, so the keyboard wasn't lopsided, but the bottom bar was a little longer than the top one. The reason I turned it on its side like that was because it was actually a little lower to the floor that way than if I'd set it to its lowest upright setting. That made the keyboard easier for me to play, because at that time I was sitting on a "comfy couch" in the living room, so I was a bit lower to the floor than if I'd been sitting on a piano bench or "hard ass" chair. Now I've got my keyboards set up in my bedroom and am sitting at a proper height from the floor, so I have my X stands turned upright! Conclusion: Whatever works best for you is the "right" way, even if it's the "wrong" way. ;)

Reaction score
On a same-but-different note, I'm currently using a pair of double-X stands, and at one time-- when I had just one X stand-- I used to set the stand to its tallest setting, then turn it on its side so I could lay my keyboard across one of the "top" bars and one of the "bottom" bars.
Wow I've never even thought of trying something like that! Kudos for originality.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Mike >> The Onstage is designed to only accept the 2nd tier on one side.

If you'd watched the video you would have seen the holes are drilled and tapped on the rear to accept the second tier and if you slip the second tier into the front there would be nothing holding it in place.

There honestly is only one way to use the stand.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm a little ticked off that the customer support for on stage wasn't even smart enough to tell me which way the keyboard stand goes

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Truth be told Robb, if you are using it as a single tier it really won't matter much. It's when you add the second tier that it becomes an issue.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Truth be told Robb, if you are using it as a single tier it really won't matter much. It's when you add the second tier that it becomes an issue.

Gary ;)
I ordered the second tier it just didn't arrive at the same time as the other part.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In that case, watch the Youtube vid I posted for the correct way to assemble and disassemble it.

I've had mine for years now and I don't move mine around much, but I ordered mine with the second tier in the first place.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question