One/two finger chords

JXV

Reaction score
I recently bought a PSR E453 and besause my eyesight is quite poor I have great difficulty reading the manual. I would like to know if there is a way to keep the chord sounding when I remove my left hand to turn the music pages. I can only use easy-read music and can usually manage to keep the right hand going but I would like the chord to keep playing too if it is possible. I would appreciate any advice on how to do this.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Using your left hand to turn the page is what I do. The chord auto acmp. will not stop playing after you have played those notes with one finger or fingered method makes no difference. But you have to have "sync start" active. When you play your left hand chord, you can hold down the keys or just tap them and release. Makes no difference, the sound will remain. Releasing keys also gives you the opportunity to change voices or style or tempo or other functions as well as turn pages.
Cheers ray

JXV

Reaction score
Using your left hand to turn the page is what I do. The chord auto acmp. will not stop playing after you have played those notes with one finger or fingered method makes no difference. But you have to have "sync start" active. When you play your left hand chord, you can hold down the keys or just tap them and release. Makes no difference, the sound will remain. Releasing keys also gives you the opportunity to change voices or style or tempo or other functions as well as turn pages.
Cheers ray
Thanks heaps for that advice, Rayblewit. I have tried that out just now and it is fine. However that leads me to another question (which may seem ridiculous to those of you who know what you are doing). Can I do the same thing without an accompaniment? ie: is it possible to have the chord sounding on it's own?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Can I do the same thing without an accompaniment? ie: is it possible to have the chord sounding on it's own
Sustain pedal?
Cowboy . . Sustain pedal just elongates the notes as you play them. When you release your fingers from the keys the sound will fade out and stop. JXV wants the sound (the chords) to continue playing when taking hand away to turn the page. I don't think that is possible? Is it?
Without Acmp. is just like playing a piano. Right?
Ray

Reaction score
Cowboy . . Sustain pedal just elongates the notes as you play them. When you release your fingers from the keys the sound will fade out and stop
Depends on the patch. Sustain can be set to unlimited.

Actually I'll edit that. ADSR settings can be altered on many but not all 'boards so I shouldn't assume. But you'll find a lot of patches sustain indefinitely when you use a pedal. I take advantage of this feature all the time when playing live.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I think the pedal setting you are looking for is Sostenudo not Sustain.

Sostenudo sustains the notes played at the time the pedal is pressed while allowing subsequent notes to decay normally.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP . . Can we help out JXV? Is a sostenudo pedal or patch available for the OP's (his or her) PSR E453?
Ray

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the Yamaha has an assignable footswitch input then there is probably a setting somewhere in the menus to switch it from sustain to sostenudo.

I leave it to the original poster to read his own manual.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
JXV wants the sound (the chords) to continue playing when taking hand away to turn the page. I don't think that is possible? Is it?

Yes it is.

Forgetting what piece of nomenclature you wish to attach to it, here's how it works on every keyboard I've ever owned:

Play a note.

Press the pedal with your foot.

Release the note.

The note continues to play (on many patches, piano isn't one of them although with many keyboards you can alter this too) indefinitely until you release your foot.

As I said above, I do this ALL THE TIME live, because I need to press buttons, change patches, trigger samples, activate videos and promote screens on my music charts while I'm playing. I would say I use this feature on one in three songs I play in my Pink Floyd tribute. In fact on some songs I double sustain, with both feet on separate sustain pedals simultaneously. My hands are off the keys more than they're on them!

To me this is analagous to OP wanting to remove his hand from the 'board to turn a page.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I checked my PSR-E443, which is nearly identical to the PSR-E453 except for the new features that were added to the PSR-E453.

There is no way to get the left-hand or "Split" voice to sustain using the pedal.

As Ray said, the accompaniment will keep playing in the last key/chord type used when you lift your left hand, as long as the "Sync Start" option is turned on.

If you don't want all of the accompaniment parts to play, you can use the "Track Control" buttons to toggle the various parts on or off (i.e., "Drums," "Bass," "Chord1," "Chord2," "Pad," and "Phrases"). This can be used to create some interesting variations of the accompaniments. However, even if you turn off everything except for "Chord1" and "Chord2," those two parts usually play arpeggiated chords rather than sustained chords, and you can't change the voices used.

One possible solution would be to create a simple style file that doesn't play anything except a sustained chord using a particular voice. I'll see if I can create such a style file and post it here. If you want to use a particular voice for the left-hand part then you would need to use a free utility program to "revoice" the style file, which isn't nearly as difficult as it might sound.

JXV

Reaction score
Thank you all for trying to work this out for me. I tried a sustain pedal but as some of you said it didn't work so I think I'll give it away. Thanks also to Ray for the link to the download manual - that should be most useful.
Joan.

Ask a Question