Opinion on a Korg

Reaction score
Is there anyone here that has had a good experience with a Korg KingKorg? My reason is that I saw a YouTube video demonstration, where someone is playing Derek Sherinian's Monster Lead and Jordan Rudess' Liquid Lead. I could never achieve those sounds on my Korg Microkorg which is why I'm saving for the KingKorg.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do with it. I'm a bit concerned about two of the specs. First, it only supports 24 notes of polyphony. Second, it only plays two sounds at a time. Whether or not these are important factors for you is dependent upon the style of music you perform and what you want to do with the keyboard. Also, as a modeling synth, you may not be able to play those really nice piano samples that you want. If this is your only synth, that limitation may be a bit much. But if you're adding to an existing synth, then that's less of a limitation.

If you want to ask other people who play it, you could go to Korgforums.com (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=70), which has a dedicated forum just for the KingKorg. Admittedly, the people posting there all decided to buy and play one, but you'll have the advantage of their experience.

Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do with it. I'm a bit concerned about two of the specs. First, it only supports 24 notes of polyphony. Second, it only plays two sounds at a time. Whether or not these are important factors for you is dependent upon the style of music you perform and what you want to do with the keyboard. Also, as a modeling synth, you may not be able to play those really nice piano samples that you want. If this is your only synth, that limitation may be a bit much. But if you're adding to an existing synth, then that's less of a limitation.

If you want to ask other people who play it, you could go to Korgforums.com (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=70), which has a dedicated forum just for the KingKorg. Admittedly, the people posting there all decided to buy and play one, but you'll have the advantage of their experience.

well I am not worried about that one bit about acoustic pianos. I got an old Roland GR-20 i could hook it up to and it has never failed me at all! the main reason i want KingKorg is for the progressive metal lead sounds, also maybe for i don't know like trance, dubstep and techno perhaps. I already belong to korgforums

Reaction score
Is there anyone here that has had a good experience with a Korg KingKorg? My reason is that I saw a YouTube video demonstration, where someone is playing Derek Sherinian's Monster Lead and Jordan Rudess' Liquid Lead. I could never achieve those sounds on my Korg Microkorg which is why I'm saving for the KingKorg.
Thanks for the PM syntheside. I thought I'd reply here in case others ask a similar question in the future.

The short answer to your question about using the KK for EDM type music is yes, it would fit the bill quite well.

Here's my assessment of the King Korg (which I've owned and gigged for about three years) for what it's worth, which I hope will assist you in making a decision on it one way or the other:

Pros:
  • Virtual Analogue (VA) sounds are super fat and warm. When I first bought mine and took it to rehearsal the other guys in the band were blown away by it. And they're not easily impressed.
  • Does lots of different synth modelling. You can use it to imitate vintage synths (which is what I use it for) or more modern sounds you'll hear in EDM.
  • 61 keys
  • Light as a feather
  • Very easy to shape and edit sounds live during performance. I take advantage of this feature a lot, you can hear this in action in a thread I started in "my music". https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-machine-live.27416/
Cons:
  • Non VA sounds aren't great. I use other keyboards for piano, electric piano, organ. It's definitely not a "do it all" type keyboard.
  • One does need to dive into the menus a bit to access the full editing features of the sounds, and the editing screen is tiny.
  • Keybed action is poor. I don't find this too troublesome for VA stuff, but I wouldn't want to play piano on it for any length of time.
  • I'm not in love with the champagne colour. Although I see Korg have just released a black one. Wish they did that in the first place!
Now, check out these videos which may also help you decide if this 'board is for you. Watch the third one from 5:00 onwards for an incredible solo.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Thanks for the PM syntheside. I thought I'd reply here in case others ask a similar question in the future.

The short answer to your question about using the KK for EDM type music is yes, it would fit the bill quite well.

Here's my assessment of the King Korg (which I've owned and gigged for about three years) for what it's worth, which I hope will assist you in making a decision on it one way or the other:

Pros:
  • Virtual Analogue (VA) sounds are super fat and warm. When I first bought mine and took it to rehearsal the other guys in the band were blown away by it. And they're not easily impressed.
  • Does lots of different synth modelling. You can use it to imitate vintage synths (which is what I use it for) or more modern sounds you'll hear in EDM.
  • 61 keys
  • Light as a feather
  • Very easy to shape and edit sounds live during performance. I take advantage of this feature a lot, you can hear this in action in a thread I started in "my music". https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-machine-live.27416/
Cons:
  • Non VA sounds aren't great. I use other keyboards for piano, electric piano, organ. It's definitely not a "do it all" type keyboard.
  • One does need to dive into the menus a bit to access the full editing features of the sounds, and the editing screen is tiny.
  • Keybed action is poor. I don't find this too troublesome for VA stuff, but I wouldn't want to play piano on it for any length of time.
  • I'm not in love with the champagne colour. Although I see Korg have just released a black one. Wish they did that in the first place!
Now, check out these videos which may also help you decide if this 'board is for you. Watch the third one from 5:00 onwards for an incredible solo.

Hope that helps!

You know it actually does help. Just hearing could give me alot of possibilities.

Ask a Question