Options for 61 Key Midi Keyboard - Is Korg Microkey best option?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on purchasing a Midi keyboard to learn how to play keyboard (once again) - about 15 years ago I learnt upto grade 3 UK level.

At the moment I use Ableton Live as my DAW, as well as messing around with Melodics but would like to learn proper chords etc.

I was thinking of buying the Korg Microkey II (wired, not bluetooth), as it has a small footprint as well as reasonable price.
Also, reviews say that the keys feel weighted, as though from a real piano.

My budget is around the £120 mark, with number of keys and overal size being the major deciding factors.

Can anyone lend some advice on the Microkey, any good? Are there any alternatives worth looking at?

Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
120 Uk Pounds is not a hell of a lot of budget.

However, a Korg Microkey is a bad choice to learn on.

As the name states, the keys are tiny and you won't get the feel of playing on normal sized keys.

In your price range I'd suggest picking up a Casio CT-X model or a higher end used CTK used model.

A new CT-X700 which is the base model of the current line sells for around 220 UK Pounds in Britain Today.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/keyboards-pianos/home-keyboards/casio-ct-x700-advanced-keyboard

If you shop around you might pick up a used one or one on sale for around 150 Pounds.

That's about as cheap as entry level gets these days.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cheers Gary (HappyRat1) for the advice, I'll have a look around for that model on the market.

Forgot to mention that I'm not fused about having any inbuilt keyboard synth hardware, as I'll be hooking it up to my laptop, ao hopefully this will drive down the cost.

Cheers

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually any decent MIDI controller in your price range will end up costing at least as much as the low end Casios so you may as well get the Casios and have the bonus of inbuilt sounds as well as a decent MIDI controller.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

You get what you pay for and £120 is not much.

I tried a Korg Microkey in Manchester, in Dawsons music shop, it felt OK but it is very small and it is imo not suitable to learn on due to the very small key size.

For learning to play then a proper keyboard will serve you well for many years.

You can get one for your budget but for a little bit more you can get a much better keyboard such as the Yamaha PSR E263 for c£150

Going to a music store and trying a few keyboards will help you decide the staff should be helpful in getting you started and if asked they may even include a free lesson. In fact Rimmers are selling the Casio that Gary suggests for £208 with access to 30 online lessons, I have nothing to do with Rimmers but one of their Stores and their Distribution Centre is in Leyland about 15 minutes away from me so I have been in and bought from them. There again I have bought from all the music stores near me.

Reaction score
I live near Nottingham so might be able to find a decent music shop there, there's quite a few music production events held around Hockley area, I'll see what they've got to offer!

Reaction score
Start here.

They are a huge company with stores spread out around England, I have not bought anything from them but they do have a lot on display, Manchester is the nearest to me and that store is huge.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You can get one for your budget but for a little bit more you can get a much better keyboard such as the Yamaha PSR E263 for c£150

The PSR-E263 would not be suitable, as its keyboard is not velocity-sensitive and it has no MIDI connectivity. The PSR-E363 would be the cheapest suitable option from Yamaha, but it doesn’t have piano-style (or “box”) keys and they are synth-action rather than weighted or semi-weighted. The Casio CT-X700 would be a better choice.

However, if the intention is to control soft synths and other virtual instruments, a MIDI keyboard controller might be a better option despite the lack of onboard sounds, especially if the controller has pitch bend and modulation wheels, knobs, sliders, and other controls— although inexpensive controllers are often missing those features.

Reaction score
The PSR-E263 would not be suitable, as its keyboard is not velocity-sensitive and it has no MIDI connectivity. The PSR-E363 would be the cheapest suitable option from Yamaha, but it doesn’t have piano-style (or “box”) keys and they are synth-action rather than weighted or semi-weighted. The Casio CT-X700 would be a better choice.

However, if the intention is to control soft synths and other virtual instruments, a MIDI keyboard controller might be a better option despite the lack of onboard sounds, especially if the controller has pitch bend and modulation wheels, knobs, sliders, and other controls— although inexpensive controllers are often missing those features.
Indeed both would be better.

The X700 is £192 in the U.K. at the cheapest music store where they sell the 363 at £160.

If the Op wants a MIDI at a price point of £175 then a Arturia Keylab Essential 61 could fit the bill and would certainly be a better buy than the Korg.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
In the USA, the Novation LaunchKey 61 is the same price as the Arturia KeyLab Essentials 61. It might be another good alternative— but it does have synth-style “diving board” unweighted keys, rather than piano-style “box shaped” weighted or semi-weighted keys. I’m not sure what kind of keys the KeyLab has. Both come with Live Lite, so I assume they’re both designed to interface easily with Live.

Ask a Question