Organ Playing Technique help

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some pointers in good organ technique (Roland VR-09) please? I know it's different from the piano, but my piano teacher doesn't have any organ experience. so I thought I'd come here to see what help the forum can offer. Any advice on getting to John Lord levels of speed would be great as well.

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff on Youtube to help you master organ styles.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+master+the+organ

Are you playing with foot pedals also or just with the Roland?

You might also want to check out some local churches to see if anyone can provide some tutoring.

Some baptist churches get really funky when it comes to organ styles.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary

I will just be playing with the Roland, I can barely co-ordinate my hands let alone adding my feet into the mix! Good suggestion regarding churches, but as a committed atheist I will probably burst into flames if I go into a church!

I'll check out the link you sent.

Reaction score
Any advice on getting to John Lord levels of speed would be great as well.
I'm no great shakes as an organ player, but the best advice I can give you in relation to speed on any keyboard instrument is don't worry about speed to start with.

If you focus on technique, and practice your scales/riffs/runs regularly, the speed will look after itself over time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm no great shakes as an organ player, but the best advice I can give you in relation to speed on any keyboard instrument is don't worry about speed to start with.

If you focus on technique, and practice your scales/riffs/runs regularly, the speed will look after itself over time.

Hi Cowboy

Thanks for the reply, I know that practice is the road to success here, but was just idly wondering if anyone had some Matrix style of learning! I do really know that not even John Lord wasn't John Lord over night.

Reaction score
It's not speed. It's style and tone. The first thing you need is to get the sound that you like and want. I play Hammond style rock organ on a Korg Kronos weighted 73 key keyboard.
Don't worry Bout playing fast. Worry about the overall sound first. That's the most important thing. I've played Highway Star more times than I ca count and the thing that gets the audience off is the tone, not the speed. It's

Reaction score
It's not speed. It's style and tone. The first thing you need is to get the sound that you like and want. I play Hammond style rock organ on a Korg Kronos weighted 73 key keyboard.
Don't worry Bout playing fast. Worry about the overall sound first. That's the most important thing. I've played Highway Star more times than I ca count and the thing that gets the audience off is the tone, not the speed. It's

Thanks Jeremy

I have a bad habit of trying to run before I can walk. I realise I just need to learn a bit of patience and I'll be able to accomplish good things.

Ask a Question