orla gt8000

Reaction score
Hi, I am a little over 80 with stacks of energy and enjoy playing the oral....Have a problem though and that is that even though the organ produces reasonable soumd the presets which are supposed to give me theatre and other organ sounds are distorted. Any ideas? I understand that this make of organ will lose sound if not used.....this is easily fixed if one disconnects the backup battery and discharges static on the chips....I was an electronics engineer but not knowing everything....HELP

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to be clear, what sort of distortion are we talking about?

Is it 60 Hz AC Hum or is it a scratchy noise when you move something or is it harmonic distortion from overdriving or is it an intended effect of the keyboard like overdrive or leslie or chorus or flanging effects?

Also what sort of speakers are you driving the signal thru/ If they're built in speakers then how old is the keyboard? Are you overdriving the levels or are the cones blow with old age?

How do those voices sound when you plug in headphones/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I see you've been a member for a while but I'm glad you've decided to post - welcome to the forum, Michael! :)

Reaction score
Just to be clear, what sort of distortion are we talking about?

Is it 60 Hz AC Hum or is it a scratchy noise when you move something or is it harmonic distortion from overdriving or is it an intended effect of the keyboard like overdrive or leslie or chorus or flanging effects?

Also what sort of speakers are you driving the signal thru/ If they're built in speakers then how old is the keyboard? Are you overdriving the levels or are the cones blow with old age?

How do those voices sound when you plug in headphones/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for reply....earphones ok. Speakers ok two 16 ohm in parallel giving 8ohms R. Moving cones ok. No leaky capacitors in power supply....think it must be chips of which there are many so perhaps a replacement board would solve the problem but....where to get one...........organ plays normally without presets.......I played cinema organ years ago so am fussy....the noise created is discordant using theatre like a sound and all harmonics together

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So I assume that it's using a built in amplifier and speakers and therefore the first thing I would look at in troubleshooting is the preamp and output amp stages of the speaker drivers.

Since you say it sounds OK thru headphones I'd say the main board is OK.

If I were you I'd trace back the output stages of the amp and inject a clean sine wave into the signal path and try to make some distortion measurements.

I'd be looking for a dodgy output transistor or op amp or output module.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW, you might find some experienced help over at this site.

http://www.organforum.com/forums/forum.php

Gary ;)
Hi Garry, yes I do have meters and scope to check waveforms. ai never bother to check caps but change them anyway using 105 deg types. Thanks for information given and for you time. I rather think that I need to get a new/seconhand board because when it comes to chip replacement some are unmarked...any ideas?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All I can suggest is contacting Orla directly and if that fails then try ebay for parts or for a junker unit being sold off for parts.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Garry, yes I do have meters and scope to check waveforms. ai never bother to check caps but change them anyway using 105 deg types. Thanks for information given and for you time. I rather think that I need to get a new/seconhand board because when it comes to chip replacement some are unmarked...any ideas?
Tried that one Garry. I am told by BT that their advertised email address doesn't exist a good reason for mail to bounce back...great life isn't it.....Been in touch with oral suppliers but no help other than offering me a new organ....perhaps a good idea but considering my age I might not have it long because I cant take it with me....wonder if they have organs on the astral plains!!!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I would be totally pissed off at the lack of manufacturer support and if Orla doesn't support their product, then I'd start looking around for the competition. Perhaps a used Hammond or a Roland BK-9.

Actually if you look around on the used forums like Craigslist you can find used Hammonds are being given away to anyone who is willing to haul them away.

I'd suggest checking the used market for a replacement. You might get lucky.

As for the Orla? Toss it on the scrap heap where it belongs. Don't waste any more effort trying to repair it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, I am a little over 80 with stacks of energy and enjoy playing the oral....Have a problem though and that is that even though the organ produces reasonable soumd the presets which are supposed to give me theatre and other organ sounds are distorted. Any ideas? I understand that this make of organ will lose sound if not used.....this is easily fixed if one disconnects the backup battery and discharges static on the chips....I was an electronics engineer but not knowing everything....HELP
Hi

Although not on an Orla GT8000 I do have a similar problem with an Orla Tradionalle the base unit used to turn a Tyros in a playable instrument. The fix is on the to do list but essentially its around the swell pedal and I believe accumulated muck in it. If you disconnect the swell pedal the distortion problem goes away and all sounds are pure. The swell pedal still swells so to speak but when connected the problems start. Sounds as though your swell pedal needs some TLC. .I'm down stream of major house renovation so not the best environment for any instrument.

Reaction score
Hi

Although not on an Orla GT8000 I do have a similar problem with an Orla Tradionalle the base unit used to turn a Tyros in a playable instrument. The fix is on the to do list but essentially its around the swell pedal and I believe accumulated muck in it. If you disconnect the swell pedal the distortion problem goes away and all sounds are pure. The swell pedal still swells so to speak but when connected the problems start. Sounds as though your swell pedal needs some TLC. .I'm down stream of major house renovation so not the best environment for any instrument.
Hi and thanks for your message. Found the fault in the end found a chip set, changed them and cured the problem. Thank you very much for your help. I found trouble like you say on other organs....thanks

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your message. Found the fault in the end found a chip set, changed them and cured the problem. Thank you very much for your help. I found trouble like you say on other organs....thanks
Do apologise for delay answering have been in hospital for a lif e saving cancer op

Ask a Question