Out of tune Yamaha Grand Piano

Reaction score
I have Yamaha DGX-500 keyboard that has tuning issues. The tuning across octaves is not the same, particularly the upper three octaves. I have reset, set the pitch bender to zero and re-tuned in an effort to resolve this problem, and confirmed the issue with a digital tuner. Re-tuning -5 partially resolves the issue on the higher octaves, but negatively affects those below middle C. This problem is most noticeable on the piano voicings. I have a friend with a similar model with the same problem who tells me that I need to add the batteries, even when I am using the AC power supply. That sounds illogical because the battery circuit should be disabled when the power adaptor is inserted. I have been able to find any information regarding this problem or an effective solution on-line.

I have had other piano keyboards that never had any similar tuning issues. Has anyone else ever experienced this with a Yamaha?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Firstly you are correct about the batteries. They should switch out of circuit the moment line voltage is applied.

Secondly, can you test again with another tuner to eliminate a badly calibrated tuner?

Modern keyboards base all frequencies on a CPU clock frequency and a frequency divider algorithm that should make the sort of discrepancies you describe impossible.

If you can't lay your hands on another tuner then try tuning by ear with another known calibrated keyboard.

Also to make certain it's not the pitch bend wheel, see if you can disable it in the menus to make certain it's not the cause of your troubles.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have Yamaha DGX-500 keyboard that has tuning issues. The tuning across octaves is not the same, particularly the upper three octaves. I have reset, set the pitch bender to zero and re-tuned in an effort to resolve this problem, and confirmed the issue with a digital tuner. Re-tuning -5 partially resolves the issue on the higher octaves, but negatively affects those below middle C. This problem is most noticeable on the piano voicings. I have a friend with a similar model with the same problem who tells me that I need to add the batteries, even when I am using the AC power supply. That sounds illogical because the battery circuit should be disabled when the power adaptor is inserted. I have been able to find any information regarding this problem or an effective solution on-line.

I have had other piano keyboards that never had any similar tuning issues. Has anyone else ever experienced this with a Yamaha?

Disclaiimer, I have very little experience with home keyboards - however I am pretty sure this is a rompler which is to say a sample player. It simply plays back pre-recorded samples. In other words, it should be impossible for it to be out of tune. In most (really all) keyboards I am familiar with, the pitch bend wheel is disabled when a piano patch is selected. The only thing that comes to mind is that some digital pianos have the capability to play other temperaments such as the various "well" temperaments and perhaps you have inadvertently selected one of these. It would be helpful if you posted more info on just how it is out of tune.

Reaction score

The DP uses "stretched tuning". Essentially, the fundamental frequencies of notes in the higher octaves are sharpened, to bring their partials into better tune.

Google "piano stretched tuning" for more info.

Everything is OK, keep playing.

. charles

Ask a Question