P-95 with a dead key!

Reaction score
Need help with getting a diode for my p-45. Second C above middle C is completely dead was hoping it just needed a clean but opened it up cleaned it and before putting it back together I figured I'd double check the diode and it's gone does anyone know which diode will work??

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In theory any high speed switching diode with the right form factor should work.

You could check one with a curve tracer or multimeter to see if it's germanium or silicon. 0.3 v for germanium. 0.7 v for silicon.

There's also quite a bit on google and youtube on identifying surface mount components.

Replacing a slower diode with a faster one shouldn't cause any problems.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response !
These seem to be recommended I think I have a basic understanding of these things and don't wanna be buying what's not needed haha
Screenshot_20210905-191106.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, good thing they come in a 5 pack in case something nastier blew out the diode in the first place. :)

Seriously man, you might have a few of these in your junk jar. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Did you observe correct polarity? (dumb question but I gotta ask)

If so, it may have shorted out when it shouldn't have.

Do a micro inspection of the motherboard and daughter boards after checking that no stray metal parts are floating around the chassis.

Pay attention to cold, cracked, or overlapping solder joints and and be 100% Certain there are Zero mechanical shorts in the system.

This would be the next step.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If a joint looks dodgy test it with your VOM and test for shorts between the power bus and the local switching circuit.

Ask a Question