p80 noisy keys

Reaction score
My p80 has lived in a relatively "safe" setting for its entire lifetime -- that is, not excessively hot, cold, dry, or humid -- but often in an upright position rather than a normal playing position on its stand. It has not been played for 2-3 years until recently. Now I find that the keys are quite noisy: on press they give a slight thumping sound; on release, a stronger thump and a click. I'm certain this is not an electronic issue, as it happens even when the power is OFF. Has anyone here run into this behavior? Can it be corrected?

Thanks in advance, Phil

Reaction score
With age screws loosen a bit. The 88 weighted keybed alone weighs over 20 pounds. With the k/b upright it sounds as though the keybed has slightly shifted. Reverse the upright side, i.e. put the side that was up on the down side. Over time the keybed should shift back and many of the noises should disappear. Then tighten down the screws that hold down the keybed (but don't overtighten as they could strip).

Reaction score
Sound like a plan. Now if I could just remember which end was UP before the last time I put it on the stand...o_O (Folks have often told me I don't know which end is up.) Do you think a repair technician could simply open it up and reposition the keybed to correct the problem?

Thanks for your advice,
Phil

Ask a Question