PA Speaker to pair with Yamaha MOX8

Reaction score
Looking for PA system to pair with the Yamaha MOX8 I just purchased.

Anyone have an opinion?

Leaning toward EV ELX112P or Yamaha DXR8.

I read elsewhere that a wood cabinet (EV-ELX112P) is more appropriate for acoustic piano sounds, which is important to me.

Before seeing this I was set on the Yamaha's because of reviews, looks, and the smaller size. Have seen that Yamaha's are great for everything except acoustic piano sounds.

I haven't played in years and will be using them mostly at home. Would like something that covers me if I eventually get some small-venue gigs...but like I said I would like to maximize the quality of the acoustic piano sounds while staying in the 400-600 price range.

Can anyone confirm or dispute that the EV's are the better choice for me?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
As you can see from my signature I use the ELX 112P for live playing. I like it a lot. I play in classic rock bands so I'm using digital emulations of acoustic piano, hammond, Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet, strings, horns and Moog. No weaknesses from the speaker. Weighs in at 37 pounds vs. 30 for the dxr8. Its louder than the dxr, puts out out more bottom end and is $150 cheaper.

Read through this carefully. There are some comments regarding muddiness of the DXR with digital pianos.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2423691/Yamaha_DXR8_vs_DXR_10

Also, a friend of mine was looking for a speaker replacement (he was using a JBL). I recommended the ELX112P. He bought the speaker and used it at a show two weeks ago (he is in a Bob Seger Tribute band) and this his what he recently wrote to me:
" ..Dave: Thanks for your recommendation to purchase the EV powered speaker. With the Samson mixer and TRS cables involved, this thing's rocks!.."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I took your advice and so far am very pleased. They look and sound great. Unfortunately, I currently live in an apartment building, so have not been able to crank them up much. I also purchased some M-Audio monitors to use when I don't want to disturb the neighbors. I hooked up the monitors and the EV's to the Mackie 4 channel mixer I bought so I can control how much of the sound is produced by each. So far mostly using monitors, but plan on cranking up the EV's sometime when the neighbors aren't home. Gotta get my own place so I blast them whenever I feel like it.

Anyway, thanks again..... I appreciate your input.

Ask a Question