PA800 vs Fantom G6

Reaction score
I am planning to buy keyboard for live performance as well as home studio.Can somebody advise which one is better ?

Reaction score
I think you got it a BIT wrong. hehe

Korg's PA series is made of arranger keyboards. That means they all have on board styles, and are very limited on sound editing (compared to full workstations that is).

On the other hand the fantom G is a workstation keyboard made for music production (and live performance ofcourse).

So if you need a keyboard for a studio and live performing NO arrangers must come to your mind :) - Workstations all the way.

Since you have the money for the fantom G, try also the other flagship workstations like Korg M3 and Yamaha motif XS. Both are, with the fantom, the best you can find at the moment, and you just can't go wrong

Reaction score
i understand that PA 800 is an arranger keyboard.

i was advised that it has capabilities of workstation keyboard as well as you get styles.

since i want keyboard for music creation and live performance, i skip PA800 as per your advice.

Then which one you rate as best keyboard out of the following :
1) Fantom G6
2) Yamaha Motif XS
3) Korg M3

Reaction score
i understand that PA 800 is an arranger keyboard.

i was advised that it has capabilities of workstation keyboard as well as you get styles.

since i want keyboard for music creation and live performance, i skip PA800 as per your advice.

Then which one you rate as best keyboard out of the following :
1) Fantom G6
2) Yamaha Motif XS
3) Korg M3

Huh... You have NO idea how hard your question is hehe.
There is no precise answer for this one... All keyboards are brilliant, and
each one of them has something unique the other 2 don't. It's up to you to find which of those sooth you best for what you need.

If i had the money i'd go for the motif just cause i already have the ES (previous motif generation) and I know what it has to offer. Brilliant out-of-the-box sounds. you sit, press the button and you play. No need for extra editing or whatsoever. But that's just me.

I haven't tried the fantom so i can't say much about it, but i know what the m3 sounds like and it's stunning. Especially the one thing korg has always been best of - strings/pads section. You could just listen to those for hours and hours.

Once again... if it was up to ME, i'd have a great dilema between the motif and the m3. I've watched a few fantom videos and it looks too complicated to be a main giging keyboard... I just got that impression. But make sure you sit down and try all above keyboards before you buy any of them.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it a hundred times - the drum sounds on Korg machines are incredible.

Yamaha has some of the best lead sounds and I think (just my opinion) Roland has great pad sounds.

As far as ease of use, I had problems with Yamaha but not Korg or Roland. That's just me. As Sysryn said, you'll have to sit down and try all three. Don't let graphics on the Rolands make the sale though - no sees that nice display on stage :)

Reaction score
Do some research on those 3, and think about what you want to use mostly on your keyboard, if you want heavy lead sounds, drum sounds, or organs or whatever you decide. Then go to a store where you can try them, and see which one fits the best to what you want to do with your keyboard.

Reaction score
I personally think the Korg M3 is for huge workstations. If your looking for a keyboard to play with a workstation with controllers and such, I would buy the M3.

if your just looking for a good keyboard to play and take with you and play some more, buy the Yamaha Motif XS

EDIT:: okay, I totally forgot to read a part of your post, you said you want to buy something for performance. Then I would buy the Korg M3.

Reaction score
if your just looking for a good keyboard to play and take with you and play some more, buy the Yamaha Motif XS

If you mean "take with you" as in, moving the keyboard to another place, I don't think the Motif is such a good idea actually. Last time I saw it in a store, I reacted a bit on it's size... It's pretty huge...

The M3, on the other hand, has a detachable module, which means that if you need to use the keyboard i.ex at band rehearsals, you can just have a MIDI controller there, and bring your M3 module (I think that would work, I don't know that much about MIDI yet).

Ask a Question