Part 2 of my studio build

Reaction score
We're moving in a couple of months. I have to build a new studio in an unfinished and very low ceilinged basement. 6 foot ceiling! I'm slowly coming around to calling it the Dungeon! I'm sure I'm going to bang my head a lot until I get smart and learn to duck. This means I'm always going to bang my head! We have to move because the owners of our home are selling the place. Can't be homeless at out age. What would happen to our cats? OMG!

https://youtu.be/RCFql4sCkAY

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might want to wrap those ducts with fibreglass or similar not only for noise dampening but as a bonus they will direct heat more efficiently.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The ducts are mainly cold air returns for upstairs. There are 2 warm vents but the basement is nice and toasty! The ceiling is going to have rockwool between the beams. 6" thick in the studio ceiling. It's a better sound insulator. Not that I'm worried much about sound isolation. I've recorded a lot of songs in my old studio with the window open and noise coming in. I also have noisy fans and a noisy furnace here. It's just a matter of having the null points of the microphone directed at the noise source. Then we also get into the -6 DB non issue. In most cases, if outside sounds are 6 DB less than the source that you're recording, you probably won't hear the noise. And really, does it matter? Not an iota to me.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My main concern was cacaphony resonating upstairs while the old man is watching Wheel Of Fortune :)

Ask a Question