PC1X and I think my ROMS are Garbled!

Reaction score
I just got myself a Kurzweil PC1X from Guitar Center (long story) and it's phenomenal, the feel is great, it weighs a ton and the sound is amazing. I'm playing it through a Peavey PA in the livingroom so it's full range and has plenty of headroom but there are a few issues that would explain the low $249 price tag. Internal battery was dead, literally 0.0 volts so I took care of that. There is no expansion ROM installed so I don't have any of the extra "Classic Keys" voices which I am not worried about. I did a hard reset and ran all the Diagnostics in the boot block and all passed except ROM2 of course since it doesn't have one. The OS number is 2.01 and I noticed the latest is 2.02 so I'll try updating next. The problem I have with it is this- I seems to have most of the demos included in the factory ROM but there are some other demos listed which do not play. The demos in question seem to make use of the expansion rom. when I run up past the first 5-6 demos the demo numbers jump to 20 then 40 42 46 and so on but they make no sounds. After I replaced the battery and hard reset one of the Demos which was silent revived itself. I figure someone had expansion roms in it and the demo entries are from those, but I don't know how to get rid of them or whether they indicate corruption I need to deal with in the ROMS. Would a re-installation of the boot block help or maybe if I try and track down an expansion rom. (no luck there yet)
Other than that everything seems to work great and I can't wait to learn how to set up the zones to run my Monologue, Volcas and Microfreak alongside the great Orchestral sounds it has, but I don't want it to fitz out on me.

Reaction score
Yes, re-install the boot block so that the keyboard is completely in sync between the demos and the firmware version and the ROM expansions.

BTW, I have a PC3 and have never even activated a demo on it. I don't find the feature of any real value.

Reaction score
Most of the reason I'm worried about it is because it's not stable. Things work then they don't then they do.
I'm not worried about using it for a jukebox, but the computer geek side of me knows there's a problem when the demos number 1,3,20 42 etc and half of them don't work. The demos are just a symptom and good for diagnosing whether all the voices work as advertised.

Other than than that it works great. I'm really impressed with the keybed, action, voices and all that makes a kurzweil worthwhile. I'm hoping someone gave up too early on a fixable gem rather than sold me a non-functioning lost cause but they didn't even replace the battery. unless the battery has a drainage problem. time will tell on that score. I'll have to figure out how to flash the boot block if the the firmware flash doesn't give me results. There doesn't seem to be anything about the boot block on the Kurzweil main site. Thanks for your help, I was pretty sure I'd have to re-flash everything anyhow.

Ask a Question