PC3-76 KB3 to Piano Smooth Transition

Reaction score
PC3 Peeps - HELP! I've just puchased a PC3 and plan to gig with it at a show in NY in 3 weeks and I have a very specific need that I'm sure someone's done before. This is the 3rd Kurz model I've played on, so I'm a bit familiar around the functions but I can't find direct reference to my issue in the 400pg manual (that i have read most of). **So- I need to switch back and forth (seamlessly while holding sustain) between a KB3 (ie. Greggs B) and Piano progam within one song. I've already modified the KB3 to accept sustain instead of rotor speed using sustain pedal. I don't want to split the board because i use full range registers while in each program. I have set up the two progams in a QA bank and can swith from sustained piano to KB3 without sound interruption, but as soon as i select back to piano while sustaining the organ, the sound cuts off. I do understand why this is happening as I understand a bit about the FX setups, but I need a quick workaround. I am trying my best not to have to gig with 2 full keyboards. I love love love this board, as in "where have u bee all my life?!" but I desperately need guidance. Can this be done using a Setup or even using a slider to crossfade between the two programs? If so, can you direct me to any tutorials or guides? I sing while playing so my preference is one-touch button option, but will use slider if necessary. Thank You in advance!!!

Reaction score
Here is what I'm guessing is happening, but it is my theory only ( I also own a PC3 but use a midi organ module rather than KB3).
I think Gregg's B3 uses the new double Leslie which takes up 14 of the 16 effects units that the PC3's effects section delivers leaving 2 units to spare. When you hold down the sustain and switch to a piano the PC3 attempts to play the organ (and its effects units) and the piano and its effects units. Typical pianos uses about 3-4 units depending on the effects connected to them. The total of the two (piano and organ) exceed the 16 units, and with holding down the sustain pedal and switching sounds the PC3 is attempting to play both sounds at the same time but can't so it dumps the effects and produces the silence.

To test my theory try creating a piano program with no effects, i.e. dry, then try switching from organ to this piano first, then once the sustain is released and the organ silences switch to the normal piano. When going to the organ, switch to the dry piano then to the organ. If my theory is correct this should work. Stack the sounds vertically in QA bank mode so that one button push moves from organ to dry piano and a 2nd button push moves from dry piano to regular piano. This can also be accomplished with a foot switch so no taking your hands off of the keybed.

The other possibility is to use an organ with a single Leslie but most are bad which is why the double Leslie was created.

The new Forte has 32 effects units so this issue would be non-existent.

Last edited:

Ask a Question