PC361 Fix for pitch bend wheel tuning issue

Reaction score
In 2012 I bought my PC361 used from GC. After about 7 months it started to go out of tune and was sent for warranty work where they said they replaced the pitch bend wheel. Seemed fine for a few months and then problem came right back (off warranty). At the time I was so disgusted with that experience that I contacted Kurzweil support and Jean graciously helped me through a soft ware workaround to disable the pitch bend wheel in 126 and then in each setup that I develop. (did not use wheel much at all anyway).

At the time in 2013 Jean at Kurzweil suggested I have issue fixed but I was so busy with it gigging that I did not want to give it up and workaround generally works (unless I hit factory setup by accident). Well- Jean was right I do need to fix it because if I hit factory setup that has wheel enabled by accident goes out of tune live – finally happened at gig)

When I use another board on bottom as key controller of PC361 sounds pitch bend on that other board works fine and does not put PC361 out of tune so I figure it is likely the pitch bend wheel or that assembly with circuit board. Taking end cap off it is easy fix to replace either the wheel or the whole assembly (no issues with mod wheel).

I am hoping to get feedback on following questions:

1. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it by replacing wheel only and did that work?

2. If not, is the required fix replacing the pitch bend wheel assembly with circuit board (and mod wheel)?

I have done some browsing online and found Instrument parts.com told me that their whole new wheel assembly is available for $109 (AMS-D1012400340). They had many Kurzweil wheels and one listed for PC1x – PC3 PC3x (AMS-D12300052 = $25) but they told me that was wrong one and would need assembly for $109.

I don’t mind spending the larger $109 if the circuit and total assembly is needed for entire fix as I hope to fix this only once (love the sound of this board otherwise). Not really sure why initial shop repair did not last more than few months..

Thanks much in advance

Mark

PS- Let me know if there is another forum more appropriate for this “fix it” type post.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Before you start opening up your Kurzweil, howabout this idea as a suggestion? Why not buy the Kurzweil Ribbon Controller and use that instead of the wheel?

That's what I do on my PC3K8.

The ribbon never wears out like the pots on the pitch wheel and as a bonus it has a three octave range right out of the box.

Sweetwater carries it for $121 USD and for a permanent solution it's a small price to pay.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC2SRib--kurzweil-pc2srib-super-ribbon

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary, Interesting that you mention that as I used to use the ribbon on my SP88 that just died midi'd into the PC361 with wheel issues and worked fine but I am not sure that would solve my problem because with my bum wheel still in place any time a setup gets called up (already disabled globally in 126 for programs) that does not have pitch wheel wheel turned off (plenty of them in factory setups) the tuning goes nuts. I had thought about trying to figure if it would be ok to just disconnect the pitch bend wheel only keeping the mod wheel connected but not sure I know enough as to whether that would goof something up on the keyboard booting, running, or tuning.

Ask a Question