Pedal polarity

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can help me here. I have tried everything, I’ve read comments and suggestions online and nothing seems to work

Two of my Yamaha keyboards don’t work with the sustain pedal. I’ve tried different pedals, I reversed the polarity switch on the bottom, I plugged the pedal in “prior” to turning on the keyboard, I plugged the pedal in “after” turning the keyboard on, etc.
This is very frustrating. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your manual. There may be an option to enable or assign the pedal. Make sure it is set to the effect you desire.

If that doesn't work, then you'd have to start looking at opening up the keyboard and checking if the wiring has become disconnected.

Also, if the pedals you are using are those $10 Chinese wonders, then there's also a strong chance both pedals are defective.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Two of my Yamaha keyboards don’t work with the sustain pedal. I’ve tried different pedals, I reversed the polarity switch on the bottom, I plugged the pedal in “prior” to turning on the keyboard, I plugged the pedal in “after” turning the keyboard on, etc.
What are the models of the Yamahas that are not working? When you say they don't work, does the pedal do nothing at all, or does the pedal work in a wrong way (e.g. sustaining when you DON'T press the pedal)? Do you have other keyboards (Yamaha or not) that DO work with these pedals?

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can help me here. I have tried everything, I’ve read comments and suggestions online and nothing seems to work

Thank you!
Do the pedals work in another keyboard? Do you have access to a friend's keyboard that you can try? Can you take the pedal to a music store and plug it in to verify it works on a different keyboard? If you find that the pedals are working on different keyboards then you have a setting on the keyboard itself that has sustain turned off. By the way, which jack are you plugging the pedal into? Perhaps you are plugging them into an expression pedal jack rather than damper or sustain. what model yamaha's do you own? What is the model # of the sustain pedal. does the sustain pedal have a Tip/Sleeve (TS) plug on it or a Tip/Ring/Sleeve (TRS) plug typically used to support half pedaling . If it is TRS your Yamaha might not support that pedal.

Attachments

• TS plug.JPG
    TS plug.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 21
  • trs plug.JPG
    trs plug.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reaction score
Check your manual. There may be an option to enable or assign the pedal. Make sure it is set to the effect you desire.

If that doesn't work, then you'd have to start looking at opening up the keyboard and checking if the wiring has become disconnected.

Also, if the pedals you are using are those $10 Chinese wonders, then there's also a strong chance both pedals are defective.

Gary ;)

Reaction score

Gary ;)
Thank you. I’ll try that.

Reaction score
There are 2 polarities for all keyboard sustain pedals. Best to buy a pedal with the polarity switch on it (usually on the bottom of the pedal. The Alesis SP-2 will work with every keyboard. I own several and use on Yamaha, Korg, Casio, Roland, Kurzweil, and Moog.

Reaction score
There are 2 polarities for all keyboard sustain pedals. Best to buy a pedal with the polarity switch on it (usually on the bottom of the pedal. The Alesis SP-2 will work with every keyboard. I own several and use on Yamaha, Korg, Casio, Roland, Kurzweil, and Moog.
Did you read his post? He said this: ".. I reversed the polarity switch on the bottom..". So he has a sustain pedal with a polarity switch and tried the switch in both positions.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The guy hasn't replied to his own thread in 4 days.

I assume my suggestions worked.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Did you read his post? He said this: ".. I reversed the polarity switch on the bottom..". So he has a sustain pedal with a polarity switch and tried the switch in both positions.
So. Turn the keyboard off, switch polarities - then turn the keyboard back on. Simple as that. THERE ARE ONLY 2 POLARITIES FOR ALL KEYBOARD SUSTAIN PEDALS.

Ask a Question