Personal Ear Sounds

Reaction score
All the keyboards I have owned can sound good or not good on different days.
There are so many personal factors to take into account.
Some days my keyboard appears sound wise to not like what I'm listening to on that particular day.
This can be a problem balancing a style which may sound fine but the following day I may say to myself why did I adjust the balance like that ?
I assume I'm not on my own with this subject ???.

Reaction score
All the keyboards I have owned can sound good or not good on different days.
There are so many personal factors to take into account.
Some days my keyboard appears sound wise to not like what I'm listening to on that particular day.
This can be a problem balancing a style which may sound fine but the following day I may say to myself why did I adjust the balance like that ?
I assume I'm not on my own with this subject ???.
If a given setting sounds different on different days, all other things the same, that could be a problem with the keyboard. It could also be that your preferences for the sound settings are not completely locked in.
On the other hand, Its common to find that you may need to fine tune your settings for different venues since many things effect accoustics and overall sound. Unfortunately, keyboard sounds are generally more suscepible to this happening than most other band instruments. If this is the case, I think you'll find that with experience, you can quickly make changes as necessary with little difficulty.

Reaction score
My primary instrument is guitar and I've heard this same thing many times over the years from many people: Why does my amp sound great some days and bad other days. Same thing happens with me and I've never quite understood why. Is it my gear, is it atmospheric, something in my auditory system or is it mental? Maybe it's a combo of several factors?

Reaction score
Perry.
My article has nothing to do with keyboard problems or settings.
Once you adjust settings to your liking these stay that way regardless of the day.
There are people who do detect sound daily changers like myself within one's hearing.
Some days you may feel not as well as you did yesterday...Its all about human senses.
My contacts who have had the same sound experience as myself agree with me and state their ears respond to sound differently at different times.
If you are not one who does not detect daily sound changes then that's fine.

I have been blessed by having had many years of an enjoyable working life in sound, meaning my ears have been listening to very high quality sound on a daily basis, this has made my ears more critical than the average person, but I'm not on my own so no criticism intended .

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are definitely not on your own but I have a feeling that we will never get a definitive answer as to why this occurs, especially since we have different auditory systems and thought processes. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to a setting after some time and thought WTF was I thinking? Same thing happens with mixing a recording and it does drive me crazy sometimes.

Reaction score
I'm only a couple years into this, so...grains of salt...

I have found that a mix of voices and styles I'm putting together for a song sound great to me. That comes by starting out, changing a style, changing volumes, etc. and at the end I think "That sounds pretty good!" Happy day!

Then, the next day, I listen, and like you, I just don't care for it that much.

In my example, I think that you start with a bland sound, and improve it a lot, and are riding that wave. Next day, new listen, reality strikes. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Having worked in the Sound/Audio business most of my working life I detected my hearing changing within each week.
This is just the same as feeling better or worse within yourself some days.
All part of human nature.
One day of a working week we did take the hour of the working day to listen to live instruments to refresh one's ears.

Ask a Question