Piano background, now in band, Korg PS60?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a Korg PS60 or maybe Roland Juno G/Gi, how have people found using them?
Also, any other suggestions for keyboards? Just started jamming and doing a few gigs with an indie rock band. Looking at around the $1000 mark.

I have a piano background, so want something with good piano sounds, but also the option to play around a bit with different sounds.

Thanks

The Y_man

Reaction score
I could be badly mistaken (and I often am) but the Korg is more a "pure" synth, while the Gi is more of an "arranger" type with backing drums and orchestrations.

The Y-man

Reaction score
The most important things to consider if you come from a piano background is whether you'll be happy with 61 synth action keys or not. Unfortunately there aren't really any synths available within your budget that have a decent piano-style keyboard. It would have to be a stage piano, which won't have much flexibility in creating other sounds.

The PS60 is pretty much an entry-level synth, restricted to preset sounds only . You should be able to buy it for significantly less than $1000.

The Juno Gi is a step up in features and price, but still restricted to preset sounds - just more of them and with some entry-level workstation-like features (recording your songs).

The Korg M50 is step up again compared to the Juno Gi, and about the same price. Also check out the Yamaha MOX6.

The Juno Stage is similar to the Juno Gi, but with an extra octave of keys, and less workstation features. You might find that trade off very useful if you're used to playing a piano.

Until recently, several stores were selling the (now discontinued) Kurzweil PC361 for $1000. This is a HUGE step up in features from the above models, so if you can find one left, grab it!.

Reaction score
The Juno Gi and the Korg ps60 have synth action. My di has the keybed as the Gi and many of the same sounds but less of them. The Korg ps60 (IMHO) has crappy construction issues. It's keybed is like playing a sponge. Very cheap and toylike. I also think the piano sounds are lacking in both. So you might be really disappointed.

I don't like playing the Juno for any type of piano stuff. The keys don't travel far enough down and I feel like I'm playing on a wood board. I'm looking for a semi-weighted keyboard myself. The Juno Stage has better action from what I hear and you can probably find one in your price range since I believe Roland has discontinuned it.

The Korg M50 88 and the MOX8 have weighted keys, but are a bit more than a grand. You might find one used around 1,000.

I also looked at the Kurzweil SP-4 76 keys. Good piano sounds, but kind of limited in choice of sounds. It's around a grand.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments, I will look into it some more, and see what is available second hand

Ask a Question