Piano, organ, and synth for <$1000?

Reaction score
So I'm really a gigging keyboardist (ie mostly covers and originals with classic sounds like a hammond b3, etc) with a budget of preferably <$1000.

Recently, I was recommended the Roland VR-09 V-Combo. It looks really good (haven't gotten to play it yet). But I have some concerns...

I'm used to working with multiple boards, preferably one full-size digital piano, one synth, and one organ. Obviously the above has all three, but I fear I won't like the 61 keys, slightly limited synth section, and just not being able to play multiple sounds at once (I know about split and layering, but those obviously aren't quite the same as playing multiple separate boards)

Overall, the VR-09 looks like what I want to buy. My concerns are pretty much purely based in me not leaving my comfort zone for gigging. Thanks in advance for any advice!

**TL;DR** is there a reasonable way to get a piano, synth, and organ for <$1000? Potentially as separate units?

Reaction score
TU,

I'm not the world's foremost expert on the VR-09 but get to play my brother's now and then. It is a great keyboard but I'm not sure it would cover ALL your requirements simultaneously. I'd say the organs are very good indeed, pianos not bad, synth a bit limited.

Definitely try out the keybed action too. I don't mind it myself but I know it's not universally popular. I'm not sure I'd love playing piano on it regularly.

I DO think it's an excellent gigging keyboard, it's set up with live performance in mind. I guess it just depends on how you like to work and which songs you're covering as to whether you think it will be enough to cover all your requirements.

I used to gig rock covers on one 61-key keyboard (Korg Krome) regularly - and still do sometimes if it's only a short set and I can't be bothered bringing my stage piano, so it's doable. Especially with that keyboard - sounds excellent and can do lots of party tricks.

Eventually I stopped doing it though because I found myself playing more and more piano and wanted the weighted action. The Krome 61 action is not that great.

Good luck in your endeavours!

TL; DR: Maybe! You need to try before buying if possible, I think.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TU,

I'm not the world's most foremost expert on the VR-09 but get to play my brother's now and then. It is a great keyboard but I'm not sure it would cover ALL your requirements simultaneously. I'd say the organs are very good indeed, pianos not bad, synth a bit limited.

Definitely try out the keybed action too. I don't mind it myself but I know it's not universally popular. I'm not sure I'd love playing piano on it regularly.

I DO think it's an excellent gigging keyboard, it's set up with live performance in mind. I guess it just depends on how you like to work and which songs you're covering as to whether you think it will be enough to cover all your requirements.

I used to gig rock covers on one 61-key keyboard (Korg Krome) regularly - and still do sometimes if it's only a short set and I can't be bothered bringing my stage piano, so it's doable. Especially with that keyboard - sounds excellent and can do lots of party tricks.

Eventually I stopped doing it though because I found myself playing more and more piano and wanted the weighted action. The Krome 61 action is not that great.

Good luck in your endeavours!

TL; DR: Maybe! You need to try before buying if possible, I think.

Thank you very much for the response! This is pretty much how I feel about it - definitely want to try it before I buy it but it seems to cover pretty much everything - good luck to you as well!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
First, I'd look at the used market. It's amazing what people are willing to part with.

Second, at least for the piano, look seriously at the lower end electric pianos from reputable manufacturers. When my eldest daughter went to college, my father (a classical pianist and composer) brought her to Sam Ash to get a piano for her dorm room. He was very impressed with how good the cheap pianos were, and bought her an 88 note Casio.

Yes, you'll get more if you go up in price. More sounds. Arranger features. Etc. But if you're looking for a multiple keyboard solution with dedicated piano, organ, and synth, then those extra features may very well be duplicated among the three keyboards. You might as well get a dedicated piano only.

Yes, the sound is better (more realistic) on the very expensive pianos. But if you're gigging, your sound will be going through a crappy club PA into a crowded room where the audience is focusing as much on the people they're sexually attracted to and (when that fails) alcohol than they are on the band. Good enough is good enough. And when you're looking for that great sound when you're recording, most studios will have equipment you can use; perhaps even a great nine foot grand.

Reaction score
First, I'd look at the used market. It's amazing what people are willing to part with.

Second, at least for the piano, look seriously at the lower end electric pianos from reputable manufacturers. When my eldest daughter went to college, my father (a classical pianist and composer) brought her to Sam Ash to get a piano for her dorm room. He was very impressed with how good the cheap pianos were, and bought her an 88 note Casio.

Yes, you'll get more if you go up in price. More sounds. Arranger features. Etc. But if you're looking for a multiple keyboard solution with dedicated piano, organ, and synth, then those extra features may very well be duplicated among the three keyboards. You might as well get a dedicated piano only.

Yes, the sound is better (more realistic) on the very expensive pianos. But if you're gigging, your sound will be going through a crappy club PA into a crowded room where the audience is focusing as much on the people they're sexually attracted to and (when that fails) alcohol than they are on the band. Good enough is good enough. And when you're looking for that great sound when you're recording, most studios will have equipment you can use; perhaps even a great nine foot grand.

Thank you for the reply! I am looking almost exclusively at the used market, and have been pleasantly surprised at what's out there. Cheaper electric pianos from brands like Casio and Yamaha are exactly what I've been looking at - just trying to figure out which would be most versatile for <$500 or so.
Thank you again for your help!

Reaction score
For just over the $1k mark I would look at a Gemini module. Absolutely killer sounds and it can be midi'd to an already existing keyboard. Listen with really good headphones or through a stereo system. Has ths Mojo organ/leslie, considered by many to be the best organ/leslie combo on the market. Modeled Wurli, Rhodes, D6 Clav and an acoustic piano. For almost the same price as a VR09 it will absolutely blow the VR09 away. I own one, it's phenomenal.

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

Last edited:

Ask a Question