Piano Sound YPG-535 vs PSR-E453 vs PSR-EW300/400/410

Reaction score
I got a chance to try both the YPG-535 vs PSR-E453 at my local Guitar Center and I felt that the main piano sound ( and MOST sounds actually) were far superior on the YPG-535. I was looking to buy the PSR-E453 but now I'm not so sure. I have the following questions for those with experience with some of these keyboards.

1. Should the YPG-235 sound as good as the YPG-535? I do not want an 88-key beast :) I travel with my keyboard sometimes. I'd prefer a 61-key, but I'm trying to make peace with the fact that I might have to buy a 74-key to get the best sound possible in my price range.

2. Why oh why does the YPG-535 sound so much better than the PSR-453?

3. It looks like the PSR-EW300, then the PSR-EW-400 (and soon PSR-EW410) are a direct replacement for the YPG line. Do they sound as good or better as the YPG-535? Because if they are just 76-key versions of the PSR-E series with the same sounds then I suspect that I'd prefer a YPG-235.

Thanks for your time.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The keys on the YPG models are piano-style (box shaped). I think the keys on the YPG-235 are semi-weighted, while those on the YPG-535 are weighted, but I'm not sure about that.

The keys on the PSR-E models are synth-style (diving board shaped). They're semi-weighted.

I don't know about the differences in sound; I thought they had the same sound samples. I've heard some people say that they thought one PSR-E model sounded better than another, but I don't know why that might be unless it had something to do with the speakers, equalizer settings, or other voice parameters. For instance, I have four different models and I've noticed that Yamaha sometimes changes a few of the voice parameters from one model to the next, such as the default volume or the reverb depth. But you can change those settings in the Function menu if you want.

My recommendation would be to see if you can find a store that has a YPG-235 or DGX-230 you can try (they are the same keyboards, just different names-- for export purposes, I think). Or, since the DGX-230/YPG-235 has been out for several years, you might be able to find a used one for sale that the owner will let you try out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :) I was chomping at the bit to make a purchase until yesterday. I found a used YPT-400 (PSR-E403) on Craig's List for $35 with stand and a/c adapter. Needless to say I bought it. It appears to have been owned by a smoker so I cleaned it up and spent most of the night messing around with it and trying out all the sounds and cool new features.

So, I expect I'll want to upgrade at some point. But for now this YPT-400 gets me better sound and midi support for very low cost. So I can wait a few months. It gives me time to figure out what I really want to upgrade to ... If anything. :)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have a YPT-400, too! I bought it used for $85, but spent another $15 to order the CD-ROM that came with it-- which the former owner apparently no longer had or couldn't find-- so I paid $100 in all. It's a nice keyboard-- not as nice as the newer PSR-E4xx models, because it doesn't have a USB TO DEVICE port for connecting a flash drive, and has only 2 Registration buttons-- but if you paid only $35 for it then you got a bargain! Shoot, the power adapter alone costs nearly $35 if you buy the Survival Kit that it comes in. You should enjoy tinkering about with it! :)

Ask a Question