Piano Tabs: Feature Discussion

Reaction score
My next project for keyboardforums is implementing piano tabs. Is there a standard formula to convert guitar tabs to piano maybe?

Im looking for feedback and suggestions on how to build this system and database.

Reaction score
Well,

Notes on the keyboard such as a low A a and high A sound like the same just at a higher tone, sorta...

People can easily just figure out where to play on the keyboard of the song...this is just for reference.

Reaction score
I can't really figure out any way to make Piano Tabs that are about as simple as guitar tabs. I've never seen or heard about anything like that.

If we don't find a way to do it, we could just make a sheet music section, and another section where you can learn to read sheet music, in case you're having problems with it.

The only way I've come up with is some kind if video clip, where you see a few octaves of keys, and the keys that are being played lights up. But that would probably be a lot harder to do than the Guitar tabs, so it might just not be worth it...

Reaction score
I can't think of any way to do this to the same level of detail that you get in tabs. I think the best thing is to have whatever people think is the best way of displaying it, whether it is chords, sheet music or MIDI file.

Reaction score
I've not used tabs, but I have used the basic guitar chords on sheet music in years past as my starting reference for keyboard parts. But, I would go through the chords and annotate (what I thought was) the best chord inversion for my use. That is, my notes showed a 1, 2 or 3 for first, second, or third inversion (underneath the chord). For more detail it would seem that charting the chord structure would be necessary(?)

Reaction score
Guitar tabs are a nightmare to read unless you actually have a guitar there, or can transpose in your head really well. Guitar chords on the other hand are much more useful.

Perhaps we could use the same system as in jazz fake books which have the melody line and lyrics scored and the appropriate chords written above. I mainly use this for solo keys work, simple parts and improvisations.

Displaying actual keyboard parts is a little more tricky, since, as you well know, are not simple and chord based. The system I use for learning complex parts is to reduce the song to its key themes and right out any solos manually. I've put a couple of examples of this (for Jump and Incommunicado) here

Reaction score
I can't really figure out any way to make Piano Tabs that are about as simple as guitar tabs. I've never seen or heard about anything like that.

If we don't find a way to do it, we could just make a sheet music section, and another section where you can learn to read sheet music, in case you're having problems with it.

The only way I've come up with is some kind if video clip, where you see a few octaves of keys, and the keys that are being played lights up. But that would probably be a lot harder to do than the Guitar tabs, so it might just not be worth it...

This was my idea? Have a Lesson Section where people can teach you how to play. Say the advanced keyboardists can create series of lessons for example named "Getting Started" or "Newbie Players" etc;. Lessons can consist of posts(articles) that can teach things from chords to tricks. One lesson can teach people how to read music and how to get better at reading music and playing it at the same time.

We could also have a Music Sheet Section, however if we create our on Piano/Keyboard Tabs, we will get lots of reputation on the internet and perhaps get lots of members just like Ultimate-Guitar. If we cannot create our own then we can simply have the Music Sheet Section. Members can create their own sheets for their own songs or they can find music sheets for any song.

And to Sargas's idea of Videos. We can add this but we would have to change things. If We add Videos on "How To Play This Song", we would need to drop the name "Music Sheet Section" or something. We could name it "Song Section" and then with the help of some code, create 2 sections; One named "Music Sheets" and the other named "Videos".

Oh and if we do make videos to teach people how to play songs, we should keep it really simple for those you aren't experienced so EVERYONE can play.

If this forum goes nicely, nobody would really need to pay for lessons =]

Reaction score
we should keep it really simple for those you aren't experienced so EVERYONE can play.]

I think the idea of a web group being able to offer help to others is
one reason a group would be successful. I would suggest that the
answer is probably the right combination of the ideas being offered
here at the forum. For basics, I it could start with a most basic item, such as a simple illustration of a keyboard with identification of the individual notes. Then, build from there.:)

Reaction score
Sheet music is kind of similar to tab I think - I mean, I can't actually read sheet music right, but from what I understand, it starts on C, then the next note up is D, so it's shown a little bit higher up on the staff (?). so If you kind of, imagined your keyboard turned trough 90deg, each note (dot) is the next white key up, (unless marked # or b), Is that right?

I was thinking, you could have, like, MIDI files, and have them free to download, and have simple free programs you can download (like an equivelent to powertab). the program could do both - like, put the MIDI file into sheet music, and show it as a set of keys lighting up?...
...crap idea?

Reaction score
A resource area is definately needed.

Keep the ideas coming guys ... im working on a couple mods that we should have wrapped up in a day or two.

One of the new mods added was the helpful post vote on the bottom right of posts in the buyers and sellers forum as well as the keyboard specific ones.

Reaction score
I was thinking, you could have, like, MIDI files, and have them free to download

Google is your friend!

...and have simple free programs you can download (like an equivelent to powertab).

Trickier - most are very expensive. 8notes has an online tool that'll do it, but only once a day unless you are a subscriber. The most powerful tool I know is Sibelius, but that costs an arm, a leg and three human lungs. There is a free demo that'll convert them, but you can only print, not save, and the many many many parameters take a bit of getting used to.

and show it as a set of keys lighting up?...

Again, very tricky - I don't know of any software that'll do this, but I'm certain there must be some. Most key-light keyboards should have a utility that allows you to add your own songs.

EDIT:

A bit more googling turned up this which has some good comparisons of midi->sheet converters but is pretty out of date - technology has advanced since 04!

Also, on the subject of lighting keys, if you have a midi controller linked to your computer, you could try Synthesia which is basically Guitar Hero for keyboards, except that you have more than 5 buttons to press!

Reaction score
Trickier - most are very expensive. 8notes has an online tool that'll do it, but only once a day unless you are a subscriber. The most powerful tool I know is Sibelius, but that costs an arm, a leg and three human lungs. There is a free demo that'll convert them, but you can only print, not save, and the many many many parameters take a bit of getting used to.

Finale Notepad doesn't have a lot of features, but costs only $20 US, I think, and might do what you want. Depending on the features you might want, this might be enough. Check carefully; among other things, I know there's a limit to the number of scores you can see at once, and if you're loading in a MIDI file for a full song with all the parts (drums, guitar or two, bass, keys, etc.), you might have issues. Finale and Sibelius are the big players in sheet music, but if all you want is keyboard scores, a more scaled down version will definitely do what you want.

Ask a Question