Piano volume isn't on when I turn on the keyboard!!

Reaction score
Hi there and Happy Holidays!!!
Visiting my dad and his wife and my first job is tomtry.amd fix her new keyboard volume! Keyboard is a Yamaha Portable grand DGX-660. I've tried a factory reset, made sure local was on and speaker control was always on. The problem is when I turn the key board off, the speaker control reverts to normal. So how do I get speaker control to always stay on? I'm only here until Friday so.any help is greatly appreciated!
(e-mail address removed)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you trying to get the speakers to stay on even though the keyboard has an audio plug inserted into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack?

I don't have any hands-on experience with the DGX-660, so I might be wrong, but I don't think the Speaker Control setting can be saved that way.

I don't see it listed among the parameters which are saved in the Backup settings (see page 52 of the Owners Manual), and those are the parameters which will be automatically set whenever you turn on the keyboard.

I also don't see it listed among the parameters which are saved in a Registration Memory (see page 51 of the Owners Manual). If it were saved in a Registration Memory, but not in the Backup Memory, then you could at least set up everything the way you want the keyboard to be set "by default" and save that setup to the very first Registration Memory (Bank 1, Memory 1), then you could immediately press the first Registration Memory button after powering up the keyboard, to recall your preferred default settings. But it looks like that won't work in the case of the Speaker Control setting, since it isn't saved.

One of our members who happen to own a DGX-660 will have to confirm that. But if indeed the setting doesn't get saved and will therefore be lost each time the keyboard is turned off, the only solution will be to manually set the Speaker Control function as desired each time the keyboard is turned on. Fortunately, it's the next to the last parameter in the Function menu, so setting it manually shouldn't be too painful as long as it's done right after turning on the keyboard-- i.e., before making any other changes in the Function menu:

(1) Turn on the keyboard.
(2) Press the FUNCTION button.
(3) The Style Volume function should be displayed, since it's the first function in the menu.
(4) Press the CATEGORY << button once to go backwards to the last function in the menu (Auto Power Off), then press the CATEGORY << button a second time to go backwards to the next to the last function in the menu (Speaker Control).
(5) Set the Speaker Control function to the desired setting.

The alternative would be to unplug whatever is plugged into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack so it doesn't override the speaker output.

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks much for the detailed information? There is nothing plugged into the headphone/aux jack. So everytime I turn the keyboard on I have to go to funtion, speaker- always on. I've tried everyway I can to.save it and it reverts back to on. Thanks again for your help!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm confused why Speaker Control needs to be "Always On" if nothing's in PHONES/OUTPUT. Don't the speakers produce sound when set to "On"?

Note that there's also an Auto Power Off function, which is set by default to turn off the keyboard after a certain period of inactivity. Is that what you're actually trying to correct-- preventing the keyboard from turning itself off after a certain number of minutes if it isn't being played? If so, Auto Power Off can be set so the keyboard stays on until it's manually turned off, and that setting does get saved in Backup memory.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I know you said that nothing is plugged into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack, but there's one last thing to check.

Note that the DGX-660, like many if not most keyboards, has a 1/4" or 6.35mm jack for inserting headphones, whereas many if not most headphones these days have a 1/8" or 3.5mm plug.

That size plug does not fit that size jack, so some people like to use a 1/8"-female-to-1/4"-male adapter; they plug the adapter into their keyboard, then plug their headphones into the adapter.

Sometimes people will leave the adapter plugged into the keyboard's PHONES/OUTPUT jack all the time, rather than unplugging the adapter with the headphones still plugged into it. Leaving the adapter plugged in like that will cut off the sound going to the speakers, even though at first glance it might appear that nothing is plugged into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack.

The simplest solution would be to unplug that adapter-- if indeed there is an adapter plugged in-- and do not plug it back in unless you're going to be using headphones.

Otherwise, you'll need to use the procedure I mentioned previously to change the Speaker Control setting each time you turn on the keyboard.

Note that if the person using the keyboard (your dad's wife?) isn't careful, they can break the tip off the adapter and get it stuck inside the jack; or, if the keyboard was purchased used, the previous owner might have done that. If that happens, or has happened, it's possible to get the tip out of the jack, but it might be tricky, and it might involve opening up the keyboard. Of course, make sure the keyboard is turned off and unplugged before attempting any such extraction.

Reaction score
If I don't have the speakers set to "always on", the keyboard has no sound. Also, I have tried setting the Auto off to different times and still the keyboard has no sound when I turn it on.
Just to recap, when I turn the keyboard on, there is no sound. There is nothing plugged into the audio jack. The "local" function is on. I have to go into the "fictions" settings to turn the "

Reaction score
You guys are the best! Right before I got this wonderful post, I was thinking along the same lines. Go figure, as soon as I plugged in a pair of headphones and pulled them out, out came the adapter! I'm impressed by how fast you all came together with more help than most call centers. I still have 24 hours before I go home in case she needs any other help. Happy Holidays and stay safe!
My Best,
Michelle Walley

Ask a Question