Pink Floyd choir sound

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I recently purchased a Yamaha MOXF8. The band I'm in covers the Pink Floyd song Another brick in the wall pt2. I usually play the melody in the second verse with an ooh choir effect while the singer and backup singers sing the lines.
Is there any way I can load a sample of the school kids choir melody either through a laptop or direct, so I can recreate the same sound via keys as triggers, bearing in mind we don't play to a click track.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi Tayzey,

Let's start with our version of the song, so you have a reference point:

You can skip all the other stuff and go to the choir which comes in at 2:44.

Now it's tricky to hear in this version, but there is a sampled choir in the background, coupled with three female backing vocalists (live) and the kids of course. I use the sample to "beef up" the sound of the kids.

Here's how we do it:

1. Drummer plays to a click. It's the only way to ensure the sample is 100% in time.
2. Sample is run through an iPad, which I trigger. It's not done via the keyboards.
3. It's not one sample, it's multiple samples. For example there's one for "we don't need no education", then another for "we don't need no thought control", etc. That way if I trigger the sample slightly too late or too early, it doesn't stuff up the entire song.
4. We DO NOT use the choir from the original recording. This would be a breach of copyright. Our sample belongs to us 100%.

A lot of work involved, as you can see/hear. To be honest, your current method of doing it sounds fine to me and a lot less hassle.

Good luck, hope that helps, and feel free to ask further questions.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Man! That was awesome! Be buggered if I was going to "skip all the other stuff" like you said. Once it started my listening brain was committed to hear out the whole song. Superb version. Your keyboard solo kicks in at around 6:30 and may I say thumbs up to you. Also the guitar and sax solos were great. The drummer too!. Minor flaw IMO was the second solo guitar lacked a little volume but amazing sound! The kids were great. The kid in red in front did not miss a beat. I bet he will be a drummer one day.

Sorry I got off topic. The school kids on your stage were rea, but they weren't really singing. It looks from an audience view that they were singing. Very clever. The female backing singers were real. They are an integral part of the song. They sound great! I think you have given Tayzey good advice here but WOW! this is a very complex song and timing is the essence I feel.

You guys" Experience Floyd" have done an amazing job on this. WELL DONE!
You have just cost me 30 minutes of work time (listened to it 3 times through my woofers and tweeters)

Back to work!

Reaction score
Thanks Ray for those very kind words! Hope to see you in Ballarat on May 7. Make sure you say hello after the show if you do come - we always go out the front and meet the audience afterwards.

Just to clarify, the kids definitely do sing, but I like to beef them up a little bit because you can never be sure how well their vocals will be captured on the night, very much a challenge for our sound guy.

Thanks again, your comments are appreciated and I'll pass them on to the band.

Reaction score
Taysey,

A good website to download free Pink Floyd samples - https://www.giampaolonoto.it/raccolta-sample-pink-floyd/
Note in mp3 format, you'll need to convert to .wav format for the Yamaha family of keyboards Motif, MOXF and Montage.
The choir samples are 7 different sections and you'll need either a 512 or 1 GB wavecard memory to save them to in the MOXF.
There's also the option of buying the Pink Floyd Collection Yamaha MOXF sound library from Lead Sounds/Synthcloud

Regards,
Jim

Ask a Question