Pink Floyd's Sheep

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The video was taken at rehearsal for my Pink Floyd tribute, Experience Floyd a couple of weekends ago.

Forgive the sound quality, it was just recorded through the condenser mic on my camcorder. We do it more for self-critique than anything and the tapes are usually wiped over - we'll be doing some pro recording in April for a show reel, which I'll share if it goes ahead.

However the above disclaimers notwithstanding, I thought you keyboard enthusiasts might be interested in it given all that's going on. If you have questions I'm happy to answer them.

Rhodes keyboard intro: Kurzweil SP4-7
Baa-ing sheep in the background: That's me too triggering a sample off my iPad, using Sample Lab.
Synth lead that fades in from 1:45 and then throughout: The MIGHTY King Korg
Organ throughout: Our second keyboardist (off camera) on my Roland Juno Gi. In some spots you can see/hear me doubling the organ on my Korg Krome, but the Roland is doing most of the heavy organ lifting.
Synth lead from 4:32: That's doubled on the Krome and King Korg, King Korg doing most of the work.
Strings from 5:30: Juno Gi
Synth bass sound from 5:41 and throughout: King Korg
All other synth sounds during that section of the song: Juno Gi
"Lord's Prayer" commencing from 6:30: That's me through the vocoder on the King Korg, sampled on my iPad.
Outro from 8:14: Juno Gi and Krome on organ.

Hope you find it interesting. We don't put these videos on YouTube as they're not pro quality from an AV perspective, but hopefully the Dropbox link below will work for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vi3zaxn5mzx6h0/Sheep.wmv?dl=0

Cheers!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not that big of a Pink Floyd fan but it seems you pretty much have it covered note for note.

Good performance, crappy video/audio quality ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Good performance, crappy video/audio quality ;)
Cheers Gary,

Yeah as I said we only record for self-critique purposes, the video is completely irrelevant and the audio is purely to pick mistakes to work on, like my sloppy timing in the intro. I thought I'd post it anyway as it demonstrates what's possible with the Korgs, Roland and Kurz. All of which are "mid-range" 'boards but deliver plenty of punch on stage.

When I have something pro I'll flick that up so you can really hear what these things can do, but at least you get the idea in context.

Paul

That was fantastic! :D
Cheers Butch,

Paul

Reaction score
In the beginning of the song the Rhodes is missing the tremolo. This is needed for the authenticity of the sound.

Reaction score
In the beginning of the song the Rhodes is missing the tremolo. This is needed for the authenticity of the sound.
Cheers Dave,

Well spotted - there's actually a reason it's not in there. If you listen to the original recording the tremolo pans from extreme left to extreme right (not that you would be able to hear that on my dodgy mono recording even if we did it).

Without going into mega detail as to why, up until very recently it has not been possible to sync this with the bass player. So I made a conscious decision to leave it out - if it goes out of sync live, it will sound terrible.

The SP4-7 is more than capable of doing it however therefore it's on my "to do" list, along with 1,000 other things that I'm constantly tweaking.

Paul

Reaction score
Love it Paul!!! As you can see, my user name is from the "Animals" album. I love the Floyd. You did a great job with it.
I always thought this would be fun to play if I was a drummer. He nailed it on your version.
Keep up the good work!!

Reaction score
Trying to find an accurate transcription of the EP intro - two versions online in Musescore however both different??
One for just EP and the other multi-instrumental or other option watch you-tube videos over and over
Paul - First intro to Echoes of Pink Floyd was last year in Perth at Astor Theatre for 40th Anniversary of the Wall concert.
Looking forward to seeing you again up at Kallangur Norths Club in Jul.

Cheers and thanks.
Jim

Reaction score
G'day Jim, nice to hear from you and thanks for supporting EOPF!

Looking forward to Norths, it's right at the start of our next 2-year tour with our new show. Make sure you say g'day afterwards.

I don't have a transcription of this intro as I learned it by ear, however here's a couple of YouTube videos of guys who get it pretty close.

Here's an audio version of us doing it live way back in 2015. It's taken from one particular performance without any overdubs or edits, so as a bonus you get all our mistakes too (including a couple from me in the intro)! If I had a decent video of this track I'd share it with you.

https://soundcloud.com/user-412825325%2Fsheep-live
I'm glad you sent this note as it's been fun listening back on this recording after all these years. It's fair to say we've improved on it quite a bit in the last five years, but this version still holds up ok in my opinion.

Good luck with it Jim. Feel free to PM me for any tips.

Ask a Question