Play MP3 on Yamaha E453

ash

Reaction score
-Hi im Ash, i own a yamaha E 453 keyboard and i tried saving a karaoke file to my usb pen, but then it wouldn't play through the keyboard, it was saved as an mp3. How do i get it to play please? I usually download midi files but these mp3 files sound so much better.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The PSR-E453 can't play MP3 files from a USB flash drive. If you want to play an MP3 or other audio file through the speakers of your PSR-E453, you'll need to either connect a phone or other device to your keyboard's AUX IN jack and play the MP3 file on the phone/etc., or connect a computer or other device to your keyboard's USB TO HOST port and play the MP3 file on the computer/etc. In the first case (AUX IN) there should be nothing else to select, just make sure the phone or other device (computer, laptop, tablet, iPod, etc.) is connected to the AUX IN jack using the appropriate audio cable. But in the second case (USB TO HOST) you'll need to make sure the computer or other device is set to transmit its audio over the USB connection-- the PSR-E453 should show up as an available audio output device, although it will be called "Digital Keyboard" or something like that-- and you might also need to make sure that you've installed the Yamaha-Steinberg USB driver on the computer so the computer and keyboard can send audio data back and forth to each other over the USB connection.

ash

Reaction score
Right, I have a mobile phone which is what i want to use to play karaoke files through the keyboard. I have a USB cable that i use to charge the phone, do i plug that into the usb port at the back of the keyboard to get the karaoke tracks from my mobile phone?

Reaction score
The E453 has an Audio In jack socket, this is the input intended for feeding in MP3 etc audio.

Not sure if your mobile has audio out via USB or if the E453 has audio input via USB. The manuals of each device should provide more information.

ash

Reaction score
It doesn't say in the book where to plug phone and play what's on the phone. I have a samsung galaxy A70 mobile phone. All I want to do is to happily play my keyboard to karaoke tracks so it feels like I'm play in a band.

Reaction score
Does your A70 have a headphone socket?

It it does I would connect up from that socket to the Audio In on your keyboard.

Turn the volume all the way off before you plug it in then play some music and turn up the mobile phone volume until you can hear it through your E453

Do check the section of your E453 manual on using the Audio In feature.

You should be sorted.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The PSR-E453 has bidirectional USB audio, but for a phone I think you'd need to connect to its AUX IN jack.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think the type of cable will depend on the phone. The PSR-E453's AUX IN jack takes a 1/8" TRS plug, but I think phones often have jacks that take the smaller plug size, and they may take a TRRS plug that's used for headsets that combine headphones and a microphone.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
See page 36 of the PSR-E453/PSR-EW400 Owner's Manual, where it talks about "Playing an External Audio Device with the Built-in Speakers." The illustration shows a standard "auxiliary audio" cable with 1/8" TRS (stereo) plugs on both ends, but some phones have a jack that takes a smaller plug, and some phones take a TRRS plug rather than a TRS plug, so the exact cable you need might vary from the one depicted in the illustration.

By the way, if TRS and TRRS are unknown and mysterious terms, they're actually quite simple. Audio cables can be designed to conduct signals that contain one, two, or three audio channels.

An audio cable that carries only one audio channel (or mono) is a TS cable, which stands for "Tip/Sleeve." It will have a single painted groove that goes around the plug, separating the surface into two areas-- the "tip" (at the very end of the plug) and the "sleeve."

An audio cable that carries two audio channels (usually stereo, but also used for balanced mono) is a TRS cable, which stands for "Tip/Ring/Sleeve." It will have two painted grooves that go around the plug, separating the surface into three areas-- the tip, a "ring" (between the two painted grooves), and the sleeve.

An audio cable that carries three audio channels (usually stereo out for headphones plus mono in for microphone) is a TRRS cable, which stands for "Tip/Ring/Ring/Sleeve." It will have three painted grooves that go around the plug, separating the surface into the tip, two rings, and the sleeve.

There is also a fourth type of plug-- TRRRS-- which has four painted grooves, but it seems to be used very rarely.

So you should check your phone's user guide to see whether the headphones jack takes a TRS plug or a TRRS plug, as well as whether it takes a 1/8" (or 3.5mm) plug or a 3/32" (or 2.5mm) plug.

Ask a Question