Playback/Recording: MIDI sequencer or Digital Audio?

Reaction score
Playback/Recording: MIDI sequencer or Digital Audio?

How do you tell if a keyboard uses a MIDI sequencer or Digital Audio to record/play back?

Are all sequencers MIDI? If not, how do you tell what type of sequencer it is? Digital Audio or MIDI?

I am interested in purchasing a keyboard and have been browsing the various keyboard websites and am a bit confused about how to tell the difference between determining if it uses digital audio or a MIDI sequencer for recording/play back. Furthermore, if not all keyboard sequencers are MIDI I am trying to find out how to determine if it is a digital audio sequencer or not, if that actually exists.

Sometimes the description of the items on websites will just say song sequencer or step sequencer, but it doesn't actually say that it is a digital audio step sequencer or a MIDI song sequencer.

Need some help on this.

Thanks.

Reaction score
If it's a "sequencer" it's MIDI.

If it's a "recorder" it's Audio.

That is what I was under the impression of, however this keyboard on this website http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-ctk-7200-61-note-portable-keyboard#productDetail says:

"Audio recording/playback: 5 files maximum (Approximately 13 minutes of recording per file)"
AND it also says
"Pattern sequencer: real-time recording, step recording, quantize, Easy Edit, Event Editor, part parameters (100 user rhythms)"

And also says:

"Recorder: Song sequencer: 16 multi tracks + 1 System Track, 5 songs, approximately 12,000 total notes (real-time recording, step recording, song edit, track edit,event edit)"

"Song Sequencer17-track Song Sequencer (16 tracks + 1 sytem track) acts as a multi-track recorder, so you can use it for real-time recording of your keyboard play. 17 tracks mean that you can perform multi-track recording to layer bass,guitar, piano, and other instruments onto a drum part and build to a final song. Both real-time and step recording are supported.Completed recordings can be converted to SMF (Standard MIDI File) format and stored to an SD memory card."

I am very confused. Does all this mean it has both Digital Audio And a MIDI sequencer?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, so the CTK-7200 has multiple recording capabilities.

You can 1) Record Audio to an SD card inserted into the keyboard's slot from both internal and external sources. Not sure about the format but probably WAV or something similar that can be converted.

Then you have the Song Sequencer which is basically a 16 track MIDI sequencer that can save to SMF standard MIDI file format.

Then you have the pattern sequencer which is a real time pattern recorder that records a short riff you play into it as a loop then transposes the riff to each different key you press when you play the keyboard. This is also using MIDI data but using it internally.

Let me know if anything about this continues to confuse you.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Oh pshaw Don ;) I've been called the prince of darkness by some ex-gf's but now you're gonna give me a swollen head :D :D :D

Gary

Ask a Question