Playing advanced keyboard technique (Rock Organ Style)

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not sure if I can actually post such a question in here as this is not really keyboard related in terms of the keyboard itself, but is how to get done some advanced rock technique. Looking for online resource that can help with achieving that

I am playing now since years, 10 to be precise and the style is more 70s Rock.

Recently I bought an Organ, my first one, usually I always played on Real Fender Rhodes or other keyboard model that emulate that sound such Kork SV-1

I bought a Vox Continental 73 a reissue of the original Vox.

My scope is to learn advanced rock concept riffs, in the style of Deep Purple using Organ B3 sound but also some stuff such Rock Blues.

I have been playing and learning for years covers, but can't really improvise or do my own stuff except for some exception of some rock stuff that I was sometime able to create using my fantasy but I am missing some of the right technique

I know the theory I can play scales, chords triads minor and major I have no issue I can play in tempo I have already mastered some skills I played live sometime but I am not a real advanced rock keyboardist. I am looking for possible online resource that can schematically follow some sort of program that can teach steps, techniques, riffs, rock intro examples everything that once you combine with your own fantasy can produce stuff.

Online I find all this stuff for beginner, such Playgroundsessions, Piano with Willie, or Piano with Johnny, and many more others that promise and promise you and you get basically nowhere

I had teachers and lately I was going to school (Amsterdam Rock School) but that was too expensive we are talking about 700 Euros a month that is the hell of a lot of money for 4 days a week a full immersive course with rock teachers and musician of that same Rock genre.

Anyone has any ideas I also live in the Dutch countryside and taking lessons privately is not easy but mainly no easy to find someone that can teach me what I am looking for my learning.

I am very methodical, I learn fast, and I have plenty of time to dedicate + the passion, any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
I would suggest that you search Youtube for videos on Hammond organ styles, licks, and performances. There is a wealth of learning material there. There are no real short cuts unless you find someone who can give you lessons. YMMV B3maniac

Reaction score
You could also search to see what Fake Books are available.

There will be plenty of Transcriptions on Ultimate Tabs which will give the chords.

Reaction score
Thanks both for your reply.

I was more looking on some sort of course that starts somewhere and ends somewhere else.

I have done the course with David Bennett Cohen check this out :

that is the stuff I am looking for, however I was wondering if there is more, an online way to teach students on this kind of stuff, yes I understand I am asking something that doesn't probably exist.

I have also seen this https://online.berklee.edu/courses/blues-and-rock-keyboard-techniques

can I trust online Berklee education would that really help? It costs $1250 not so cheap is?

Thanks

Reaction score
If you are thinking of spending anything like that amount of cash on a course then perhaps seeking out nearby Music Stores will reap results if they have schools within their premises.

I have two such Stores near me that have teachers within the premises, and a one to one on a regular basis may help you

Failing a suitable teacher being available the in Store staff may well know of someone who can help

Quite a few are now doing live video teaching via the like of Skype and Zoom so again seek them out.

Ask a Question