Playing independent right hand to fast steady left.

Reaction score
Getting back into keyboards/ piano, after long break.

Hardest thing: syncing the right to the fast moving left. ie, blues patterns with left hand are steady and ok, but hard to play melody with right, because the right hears the fast 12 bar barrelhouse that left is doing and flubs up the right hand.

Syncing may be not best terminology, actually not sync, The right has its own melody and timing, and left hand doing something steady and fast, so the right get discombobulated, hearing and feeling the notes and rhythms of the left hand...if that makes sense.

Any tips or ideas on this? thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Tell me if you ever figure it out. I suffer from extreme right handedness. I touch type beautifully with both hands because I started young but on the keyboard my left hand is a boat anchor.

All I can say is taking peyote in the desert and asking your spirit animal DOES NOT HELP!!! :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What I DO suggest is that you dissect the music in your head whenever you are hearing or playing it and working with simpler rhythms to start and getting in lots of practice until it becomes second nature. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, yeah, so you understand what saying? Get steady rhythm going left, but then right is basically doing a different rhythm, a melody over it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You just have to start slow and work at it til your speed picks up.

Pick 3 or 4 songs to work at for a few weeks,

It may be easier if you train yourself with lead sheets or fake books until you have the bugs kicked out.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Its a brain thing, and hence an area where I to struggle.

I blame my guitar where left and right hands work in unison in a co-ordinated manner.

Moving onto a keyboard and getting the left to play a pattern whilst the right does its own thing is a problem.

This is one reason I like arrangers as I am just playing chords with my left plus Bass notes.

Your brain needs training so it develops new neural pathways, yes it can be done it is a case of finding a practice routine that will work for you and sticking to it religiously day in day out for a few months.

Reaction score
Things could be worse. I started playing and having formal lessons on an accordion. The left hand is pressing a “button board” instead of keys like the right hand. When I migrated to a Vox Jaguar compact organ my left hand was lost. The answer is practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice……….

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Basically it's like patting your head with one hand while rubbing your stomach with the other.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question