Playing keys in a rock band

Reaction score
How difficult is it to play in a rock band as a keys player? I'm talking mostly classic & hard rock.

I've been playing keys for 6 months, I can play basic chords & some comps & simple jams. I can't do 2-handed piano-type stuff. I have been jamming with some Deadhead friends, but I don't know if I'm ready for the 'big time'. (local cover bands).

It seems like keys are mostly a backup, fill-in type instrument, except for the 80s which uses more synths.

Any thoughts or experience from rock keys players?

Reaction score
Have a listen to the band Wolfmother they are very keys heavy as far as rock and roll the best way to incorporate keys in my opinion is the organ I'm an organ player in my highschool band and it really sets us apart from all the other rhythym/lead guitar driven generic stuff that is all over the highschool band community

Reaction score
Have a listen to the band Wolfmother they are very keys heavy as far as rock and roll the best way to incorporate keys in my opinion is the organ I'm an organ player in my highschool band and it really sets us apart from all the other rhythym/lead guitar driven generic stuff that is all over the highschool band community

Thanks! I think you're right. I also think a great band lineup would be one guitar and one keybd (also the drum & bass of course.) I think it would sound way more original & cool than the usual 2 guitars battling it out. The "timbre" or texture of guitar & keys are so different, they wouldn't conflict with each other and they could trade leads really well. (Actually, Dream Theater has this lineup.)

When I get accomplished on keys, that's the kind of band I'm going to look for.

Reaction score
Actually, 2 guitars are the best thing you can have in a band ONLY if they are tuned and set-up good. One of them as a rhythm guitar, and the other ona as a solo guitar, so none of them plays the same thing.

I'm in a band of 8 (drums, bass, solo guitar, rhythm guitar, keyboards, vocal + 2 girls as lead/back vocals), and the sound is very rich and full...

About keyboards in a rock band... well i think the first thing you have to learn
is improvise... and A LOT. 2 main sound to use would be a piano and an organ/hammond sound.

The problem is those 2 are played in a total different way. When playing the piano you'll be using both of your hands most of the time with some sort of blues patterns and fill-ins (very often), and the hammond will mostly play some fifth-power chords (i don't know how to call them properly so sorry :D) with a bunch of sliding and licking similar to piano blues fill-ins.

Leslie comes great as well.

I don't want to spoil it for you but 6 months of playing the keyboard just won't do any good to a ambitious rock band. Just keep on practicing, and in a short while when you get the hang of it you'll know what I was talking about.

First you'll reach a "fear of soloing". You start a solo and when you make a mistake you stop - a BIG "no-no".
The key to get over that is to stop thinking of what you're going to play, and just play... Don't mind the mistakes at all... after a while, when you "set yourself free" you'll correct the mistakes. After that is just plain practice and experience.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
my first genre is pop, but now I like pop, progressive rock, pop-rock, rock and metal... then, when I meet my friends who love rock-metal, I couldn't play that genre with keyboard... I thought, better I play bass... but after I heard how Jordan Rudess play in his band Dream Theater (progressive rock/metal), I like it, so now I could play metal with my keys... just listen Jordan Rudess...

Reaction score
I'm playing in a 5 piece band; 2 guitars, bass, drums and keyboards...and piano and B3 organ are the main keys, plus strings and clavi...and you are right, keys sorta give a "gell" to the over all sound, and compliments guitars very well...the Leslie on organ is very important to learn, you have to know how to use it dynamically with the organ to compliment the guitars, and rhythm section. Learn your chords, all inverted forms esp, keeping in mind the need to play octaves (thats the thumb/pinky stretch) needed for piano lead work, minor runs are used in blues, played off of major chords, it works and learn all "7ths". There's an old Stevie Windwood song, called Give Me Some Lovin', organ...this third position (2 moves) to the triad is your starting point, hence in the key of C, C7 learn to start your chord phrasings outta the basic triad chord structure...to play in a rock band nowadays you will need chops in classic rock, blues, southern rock, prog and some alternative...there are the all time standards in dance music that alot of bands play. Visit Crossfire on myspace, check out some of our tunes there....and practice, practice...I think we all keep on learning something new all the time.

Reaction score
Learn your chords, all inverted forms esp, keeping in mind the need to play octaves
learn to start your chord phrasings outta the basic triad chord structure...

Thanks for some good advice! I have been practicing the chords & 7ths, but the thing that was best for my education was when I met my old band & was allowed to come jam with them, 'cause practicing at home can only go so far.

Reaction score
Okay, since I'm new and posting everywhere :)

You could come to the dark side and do almost everything on synths!!

My wife and I play 90 percent of our music on two keyboards, one live bass, an occasional bodhran (for effect really) and us on the mics. She sings and I just sort of do mating calls for neighborhood cats or something.

Reaction score
Yeah, u can definitely find a lot of info online for beginning guitar -- and most of it is free. All kinds of videos on youtube and stuff -- but beware....

I just got from the "beginner" level to the "intermediate" level -- but it was with help from an online course that I had to pay for. I had started with the free stuff but the problem was that I couldn't ORGANIZE the free lessons in any kind of moderately rational way.. I was always switching between various videos and there was no order to anything. So I was trying to do scales when I should have just been dealing with really basic picking technique and etc. :eek:

So eventually I decided I need to do an actual online course --
http://consumerfilter.org/products/jamorama --
it actually worked pretty well! I might recommend you try it out.

cheers

Reaction score
Listen to Muse :) they have a great mix between rock and classic music.

try the songs: "Space Dementia" and maby "Sunburn" ;)

Ask a Question