Playing Piano Again

Reaction score
I started playing the keyboard again, after some time. My goal is to eventually play with other non-pros like myself. I have a full-time job and a family, but would like to play with a startup band eventually.

I've gone through some online lessons to relearn all the theory again. I've been working my way through a blues lesson book, which is good and fun. I like the blues, but never really played them much.

What do you suggest, if I want to really raise my playing level? Where do you purchase good music sheets? I used to play some Doors, Journey, Eagles, Beatles, classical, etc. I'm using an old cheap keyboard right now, but planning to get something better with 88 keys and hammer action......maybe the Yamaha DGX-640 but not sure. I've heard good things about that keyboard, except from music pros who would be playing on more expensive professional equipment.

Thanks.

Reaction score
You should try doing some Hannon exercises to warm up your fingers. These exercises come in a 3 part book that works on different issues of your technique like finger independence, strength, coordination. I get my sheets from http://www.muscinotes.com , they have a large archive of sheets. As far as the instrument is concerned I recommend you read the article, that's been posted here about keyboard brands and what their strengths are as far as sound is concern.

Hope I've helped.

Reaction score
I second that on the musicnotes.com. Especially if you want to play Journey and all those classic rock type bands. I'm in the same exact boat! I used to play all the time but with kids and their activities that stuff takes a back-seat. Now my youngest is 11 and more independent so I have more time for that. My fingers are definitely not what they used to be on the piano.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Yamaha DGX-640, which will give me everything that I need and more. The old "junky" one I've been using for 3 months might be a good toy for my kids.

Musicnotes.com is a good site. I have a couple sheets from there.

Reaction score
I think it's a good choice. I used to have a yamaha dgx-220, with the semi-weighted keys. It guess it's the 76-semi-weighted keys predecessor of the dgx-640. I wonder if sound-wise anything has changed :-?

Reaction score
*runs and hides

Hanon is most likely great for your fingers, unless there are other people nearby.

Ask a Question