Playing PSR-S770 styles on PSR-E463?

Reaction score
i got beats with .sys format from keyboard 770 but when i load them on my keyboard 463 they are not able to play . how can i change them to be compatible with my keyboard

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
@Martin Michubu and @Biggles: I've moved the post to its own thread.

@Biggles: A lot of people-- both here and in other forums-- have trouble figuring out how to start a new thread of their own, because it isn't always obvious. I'll post some instructions on how to do that and pin them, because it comes up a lot more often than you might think.

@Martin Michubu: If they're style files and were saved from a PSR-S770, they're most likely in the SFF2 format-- also called SFF-GE by Yamaha-- whereas the PSR-E463 can play only style files in the SFF1 format. The style files will need to be converted so they can work on the PSR-E463.

This subject comes up very frequently, because Yamaha's PSR-E and YPT models, as well as most of their DGX and YPG models, can play only SFF1 style files, and they can also use only two style variations (A and B).

In contrast, the PSR-S, PSR-SX, Tyros, and Genos models can play either SFF1 or SFF2 style files having four style variations (A, B, C, and D), although any style files saved from those models will be in the SFF2 format.

Since most of the Yamaha style files on the internet were created either on or for the PSR-S, PSR-SX, Tyros, and Genos, that leaves PSR-E, YPT, DGX, and YPG owners in the lurch.

I've posted some information in other threads about how to convert SFF2 style files to SFF1, but I'll get to work on a step-by-step tutorial about it.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Note: If they're actually some other type of file (I'm a little confused by the mention of "SYS" files), then they might need some other type of conversion.

The PSR-E463 can use "STY" files (styles), "MID" files (songs), "USR" files (user data), and "BUP" files (backup data).

The PSR-S770 can use some other file types, but off the top of my head I'm not sure if "SYS" is one of them, or if perhaps that was a typo and was meant to be "STY."

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information about SFF1 and SFF2 format. I had the same issue, i.e.: downloaded STY files didn't run in Yamaha PSR-E463.

Reading this forum, I resolved that issue by converting from SFF2 → SFF1 format.

Thanks again for knowledge sharing.

Sarath R

Ask a Question