Playing with backtracks

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to play instruments with kontakt and at the same time for example use a song as backtrack in youtube or any mp3 player.
I've tried and its like my sound card is not able to work with two softwares that reproduce sounds.
Just for clarifying I'm only using kontak as a sampler (only to play instruments) I dont work with any DAW and doesnt want to at this time because my only wish is to play and not to produce music.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
On Apple you can work with more than one "software that produce sounds", on PC its a bit complicated (You can try to use Asio4all and merge different cards together but i never quite got it to work as needed...)

There are some "routers" for midi/audio data like MidiYoke, Midi2Lan,AudioCable,MidiLoop, etc. DAW is not used to 'Produce' music only. Its an interface (I am thinking of Reaper where you can configure it to immense depth) BUT that need to be properly configured... With 2 channels one MP3 and one Kontakt loaded on Reaper. Mp3 can even be played from external player where the audio output is routed to reaper (if you want to record etc).

If you are looking for stand-alone Midi Players, Long time back i recall software like Bandstand (Native Instrument), etc.

Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth is the best i see (can load huge soundfonts)..

Cantabile and MidiClock Synchronisation (but its maybe an overkill...) for live performance to the extreme

Ask a Question