Please help - lower key sounds on amp far too loud

Reaction score
Hi,

I am playing a GEM PRP 700 through a Fender Hotrod deluxe. The lower key sounds are much louder than the higher key sounds. The imbalance is so great that I am scared to play left hand and right hand together. Changing the settings on the amp hasn't helped. Changing the settings on the keyboard doesn't really help either.

Is there a pedal I can buy which can effectively dampen the lower note sounds so that the keyboard produces an even sound?

Thanks

Simon

Reaction score
Isn't that a guitar amp?

If I'm right guitar amps aren't supposed to be balanced like keyboard amps. They require different things. The higher low end is part of the amp's voicing.

Reaction score
You're absolutely right - it is a guitar amp. I bought it because it was recommended for a Fender Rhodes.

Are there any pedals I can buy which can reduce the bass volume?

Reaction score
are you playing split keys?
even with a guitar amp there shouldn't be a BIG drastic volume difference below C4 and your upper register, although a true keyboard amp would probably be a better choice. Unless you can individually change note volumes or change in octave groupings you are stuck with a big problem, this may actually need a service tech to remedy. I'm not familiar with the Gem keyboard, so I'm not much help there.

Reaction score
I suppose you could get an equalizer pedal and cut the bass and boost the other frequencies. The more bands on the equalizer, obviously, the more control. I think carvin has a full octave EQ.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going to contact the retailer and see what they say. If no luck, then I will try out an equalizer pedal. How much do they cost roughly?

Ask a Question