Please HELP! What Am I Doing Wrong Here?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Lovely video. Clear, concise and accurately describing the problem.

I'm just spitballing here, but what I'd suggest is uninstalling the software and installing it again with administrator privileges.

It seems to me like a permissions issue.

That's all I got.

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest contacting Alesis Support and see if they have any rabbits in their hats.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually another thought just occurred to me.

The software may have been written for Windows 7 or Windows 8 and you are probably running it on Win 10.

Also take a shot at running it in compatability mode if the admin install doesn't work.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First, I don't think the VI25 editor is designed to remember which MIDI In and MIDI Out ports you had selected during a prior session, but I might be wrong about that-- I mean, one would hope that the program could actually detect that the VI25 is attached and select it automatically by default, since its whole reason for existence is to let you create and save presets for the VI25.

Second, after you have saved the desired settings to a preset, you need to actually select that preset on the VI25 or it won't take effect, it will just be in memory as one of the available presets. Well, I guess if you save the settings to preset 1 then the VI25 may load preset 1 by default, but the whole point of being able to create a dozen or more presets is so you can select whichever one you want to use.

Loading the preset back into the editor doesn't activate the preset on the VI25, it just pulls it back up in the editor so you can look at it, change it, and save it again if you want.

What you need to do (after saving the desired velocity curve to preset 2) is use the "Preset Down/Up" buttons on the VI25 to scroll to whichever preset you want to use. I don't have a VI25, but I'm guessing that it powers up with preset 1 selected and that pressing "Preset Up" once will make the preset number go up from 1 to 2. Then the VI25 should use the velocity curve setting that you saved to preset 2. :)

EDIT: Just to help clarify things, you don't need the editor for anything except to create and save presets (and it might even be possible to create and save presets on the VI25 itself without using the editor, but I don't know about that). Once the presets have been saved to the VI25, you don't even need the editor anymore-- you can use the VI25 with your other MIDI hardware or software without needing to have the editor up and running.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First, I don't think the VI25 editor is designed to remember which MIDI In and MIDI Out ports you had selected during a prior session, but I might be wrong about that-- I mean, one would hope that the program could actually detect that the VI25 is attached and select it automatically by default, since its whole reason for existence is to let you create and save presets for the VI25.

Second, after you have saved the desired settings to a preset, you need to actually select that preset on the VI25 or it won't take effect, it will just be in memory as one of the available presets. Well, I guess if you save the settings to preset 1 then the VI25 may load preset 1 by default, but the whole point of being able to create a dozen or more presets is so you can select whichever one you want to use.

Loading the preset back into the editor doesn't activate the preset on the VI25, it just pulls it back up in the editor so you can look at it, change it, and save it again if you want.

What you need to do (after saving the desired velocity curve to preset 2) is use the "Preset Down/Up" buttons on the VI25 to scroll to whichever preset you want to use. I don't have a VI25, but I'm guessing that it powers up with preset 1 selected and that pressing "Preset Up" once will make the preset number go up from 1 to 2. Then the VI25 should use the velocity curve setting that you saved to preset 2. :)

EDIT: Just to help clarify things, you don't need the editor for anything except to create and save presets (and it might even be possible to create and save presets on the VI25 itself without using the editor, but I don't know about that). Once the presets have been saved to the VI25, you don't even need the editor anymore-- you can use the VI25 with your other MIDI hardware or software without needing to have the editor up and running.

Thanks! I think I'll reinstall the editor under admin as suggested, couldn't hurt... and do as you're suggesting. I'm away for a day or so but asap.

Reaction score
Well I have the settings so I can save them and pull them up but the thing I was trying to do with comparing the difference in the velocity curves for the pads was pointless. I can't tell any difference at all between settings 1 through 8. I assume something is not working or loading right but I can work with it as is.

Ask a Question