Pointless Facebook Group.

Reaction score
Zero keyboard content here.

I was browsing the Facebook Groups that I am a member of and in one of the side panes there was a Group that I just had to join.

The header was a cartoon image of an American cop with whistle and the Group was called: -

The English Language and Grammar Police.

I mean a USA based English Group.

This is the country that pronounce BOUY as Booie and not as we English say Boy.

This is the country that spell Colour as Color.

I have suggested that they change the name of the Group to reflect that they actually do not practice the Queen’s English over in the USA but I seem to be receiving some rather odd comments by the USA residents.

What did I do wrong?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
How do you pronounce "school" in England? I already know how you pronounce "schedule."

America and England-- two countries divided by a common language. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sniping at somebody's grammar and spelling online is like shooting fish in a barrel. There's simply no sport in it. And if you REALLY piss someone off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! YOU WIN AN INTERNET STALKER... :D :D :D

I've seen you make some horrific spelling mistakes with homonyms in the past Biggles, AND THAT'S WITH BUILTIN SPELLCHECK!!! :D :D :D

Pots really shouldn't disparage the complexion of kettles :D :D :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Built-in spell-check is evil. Much of the time it changes legitimate words to the wrong words. I hate having to go back and fix errors that the stupid spell-check added to my typing. When I'm reading posts in forums, I can always spot who was replying from a phone or tablet that kept "correcting" what they were trying to type.

Reaction score
True story - yesterday I went to a shopping centre. As I parked my car and got out, a gentleman pulled up next to me, wound the window down and confronted me with a stream of invective. I couldn't hear exactly what he was saying (demeanour suggested it wasn't that friendly), so I went around to his driver's side window to ask him to repeat himself.

Essentially he believed (incorrectly in my view, one must always give way to the right in Australia in the absence of traffic signs/signals) I cut him off somewhere in the car park and wanted to let me know how annoyed he was.

I said to him "so you drove around following me, waiting for me to park, just so you could hurl abuse at me? Well, I apologise if I've upset you, but what is this actually achieving?"

He continued on with a tirade. I listened for a while, then I said "mate I've apologised not sure what else you want from me. You look like you're up for an argument, but I'm not. Suggest you move on and find someone else to annoy." Off he drove, muttering to himself.

Moral of the story: It's impossible to have a debate with someone who refuses to argue with you. I deal with internet provocateurs in the same manner. Don't complain, don't explain. If they don't like my spelling/grammar/music/life, they can own that sentiment and the negative emotion accompanying it all by themselves, I'll happily leave them to it.

Reaction score
Michael.

School, now how it is pronounced over here in the UK is totally dependent upon where one is raised.

Skoul is the way it is pronounced in my own dialect or as a lady once said to me whilst I was in a queue at a fast food outlet on the island of Maui,
..... that’s a fine Norf Lankey accent ya hav there.

Sskool would be the BBC way which is widely regarded or rather was regarded as the one place where the language was pronounced correctly.

Gary

My schoolteacher who happened to be Canadian said to me one day, Colin you have no chance of getting your English Language certificate. So whilst I still struggle all these years later with spelling and grammar it has not stopped me getting three Engineering qualifications and two Degrees.

There is a huge problem with Spell Check, it gives Yankee responses hence it is turned off on my iPad which has a mind of its own.

There was a book released many years ago called Eats Shoots and Leaves which exasperated my late Wife, she was bought the book for a Christmas present as a bit if a joke since she was well into Word Processing in having an armfull of typing qualifications she got into WP in the very early days. The book was about zero tolerance to punctuation and grammar, she spent hours going through it with a highlighter pen marking all the errors within the book.

So yes a language divided by an ocean.

To Boldly Go ... a split infinitive which should be To Go Boldly
(according to Wife number one) but whilst Star Trek’s opening salvo may have been grammatically incorrect it is now accepted as correct.

I will never understand English.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I once bought a book about desktop publishing back when it was still a relatively new thing, and I was interested in learning about how to use desktop publishing software-- not word processing, but page layout and design. When I sat down to read the book, I blew my top and wrote it off as money wasted because it was filled with page after page of mistakes-- not spelling errors, but layout errors such as paragraphs that had apparently got chopped off in mid-sentence, and worse. And the book wasn't even about how to use page design software, it was more about the general concept of deciding how to lay out pages. I was thinking, this guy's book is a horrible advertisement for his ability in the subject matter. It was like he threw the whole thing together in a weekend while he was drunk out of his skull and then printed and bound it himself without bothering to proofread it at all.

Reaction score
Why are we having this conversation in this forum? What do you expect to accomplish having it here? Go have it in the forum that is giving you the problem.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Why are we having this conversation in this forum?
Because it breaks the keyboard discussion routine. A little light relief.
This is a fun forum and is most welcome. If you don't like it then don't come here. it is not a place for wingers. . Cya Dave . . Good bye Dave.

Reaction score
Why are we having this conversation in this forum? What do you expect to accomplish having it here? Go have it in the forum that is giving you the problem.

Because it has been very quiet an a bit of light relief never goes amiss.

Its was intended as a very tongue in cheek post

Hence why it was posted in the Off Topic Section

Ask a Question