Poland Go piano 61 keys or Korg B1

Reaction score
I really prefer to buy Poland because is half the price but would appreciate if you could guide me. Thanks in advance

Edit: An ideal solution for me would be Yamaha np-12 too

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all it's ROLAND not POLAND.

Secondly it depends on what you are trying to learn.

If you want to learn to play true piano styles then you're better off with a hammer action 88 key weighted keyboard.

Finally my personal choice would be to take a pass on both of them and instead buy a Casio Privia PX-160.

Much better value for the money and much less boring in the long run since it has far more orchestral and synth voices and not simply a couple of pianos and organs.

The truth is that you get what you pay for in keyboards and the Casio is still the best bang for the buck in the beginner market.

https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/privia-digital-pianos/px-160

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Privia-PX160BK-88-Key-Digital/dp/B0100RBPTC/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Sophia.

Are you sure you want to play a piano?

I hope what follows will help in clarifying what is avaialable and the differences.
Do you want to play a Piano or Keyboard?

That is the question my Teacher asked when I took up playing keys after years with a guitar and bass.

He qualified it by stating, there is a difference in how I teach you and in how you will develop.

Piano.

At its most basic level LH plays the Bass lines and chords, RH plays the melody.

Independent LH & RH playing actions will need to be developed.

A Digital Piano is just that 88 weighted keys with a variety of Piano sounds to call upon to be used, other sounds can also be incorporated within the unit.

Keyboard.

Two basic types, Workstation and Arranger.

Both start with 61 keys and as the models increase in complexity and cost, 76 key and 88 keys versions become available as budget increases.

Each type of unit has hundreds if not thousands if instrument sounds that can be used as an example there can easily be over thirty different types of Piano sounds available to be selected.

Workstation.

Highly customisable, often with inbuilt recording, looping, and the ability to set sequence patterns of sounds that can be called upon at the touch of a button.

Usually over one thousand instrument sounds available to be used.

Orchestral sounds can be built up by layering one instrument on top of another to produce a Combination that can be saved into a User area and assigned to a Favourite button.

Watch a Band and the person on keys will probably be playing a Workstation, if they have more than one unit then a digital Piano is likely to be there unless your name is Rick Wakeman then the number of keyboards he uses is often in excess of ten.

Arranger.

A keyboard that typically incorporates onboard amplification and speakers for a fully self contained unit.

Instrument sounds or voices are categorised into families with typically thirty specific instrument sounds available.

These keyboards include Auto Accompanying of styles that are or can be triggered by the left hand.

The keyboard is electronically split (adjustable and can be switched off) so the Accompanying sounds are played with the LH and RH plays, melody lines, arpeggiated chords, improvisation, melody accompanying lines, syncopations etc.

A beginner to keyboards will probably start off learning on a low value Yamaha or Casio unit and then progress to more complex keyboard.

Synthesizer.

Is an electronic sound generator, it can be a keyboard or non keyboard model.

With all the above keyboard types, there is a considerable degrees of overlap and incorporation of functions within each category.

The choice of which type will be best for you is dependent upon what you want to play, the style and long term plans.

If you have doubts or just want to dip ones toes in then an Arranger will probably be the best unit to go for. With the auto accompaniment feature it will enable you to produce music relatively quickly.

Technicals

Polophony, this is the number of different instrument sounds that a keyboard can play at the same time.

Styles, there are hundreds of presets arrangements including in an Arranger keyboard, each Style will have a specific number of musical instrument sounds included and when the Style is initiated it will provide sounds and rhythm related to a music genre like dance, r n b, waltz, rock, ballad etc

Songs, some keyboards have a specific style, rhythm and instrument sounds that are intended to produce a sound similar to a popular song such as Ed Sheeran’s Thinking out loud, John Lennon’s Imagine, Elvis Presley The Wonder of You, Glenn Miller Moonlight Serenade etc songs that span many decades of music to cater for all ages.

Sustain pedal, a foot operated on/off switch that if it is pressed and held as a key or keys are pressed the note(s) continue to sound until the pedal is released.

Reaction score
Roland make the GoPiano and GoKeys, both of which I played in one if my local music stores to see if one would be OK for my Grandchildren to learn on, I discounted both.

The Yamaha electronic pianos are by far a much better choice if this is what you want.

I would agree with Gary, go with the Casio and the prime choice.

Any Arranger or Workstation can be used simply as a piano and yet will be far more flexible in use than an electronic Piano

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I really prefer to buy Poland because is half the price but would appreciate if you could guide me. Thanks in advance

Edit: An ideal solution for me would be Yamaha np-12 too

Sophia, welcome.
Are you buying a keyboard on line or in person from a shop? If you have a choice take the shop option.

Test drive the roland and yamaha in a shop as well as the casio (suggested by Gary)
If you can go to a couple of different shops and get the hands on feel, do it! Take your time evaluate everything to suit your needs and desires.

Good luck and make the shopping experience enjoyable. Keep us posted with your progress.

Cheers ray

Ask a Question