Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

3dc

Reaction score
I wonder how many of you have analog synthesizer and if so which one?
I would like to supplement my current software setup with hardware so I am looking at Behringer DeepMind 12. It looks like a good entry level polyphonic analog synthesizer. What do you think? This or modern workstations like MODX, Kross, Krome?

Reaction score
I would like to supplement my current software setup with hardware so I am looking at Behringer DeepMind 12. It looks like a good entry level polyphonic analog synthesizer. What do you think? This or modern workstations like MODX, Kross, Krome?
Asking whether to get an analog synthesizer or a workstation is kind of like asking whether you should get a hammer or a screwdriver. There's no right answer... which one is right depends on what you're trying to do. That said, if you're talking strictly about sound, analog hardware has certain sonic characteristics which are inherently different from digital, so if you're looking for something that sounds/behaves in a way that is not quite available in a software setup, an analog fits that bill. Whether you happen to like the sound and operation of a particular analog synth is naturally subjective.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Watching the Korg Video Manual series on the Kross 2 will give you an idea of its capabilities.

I had one for two years.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I currently own a Deepmind 6, a Poly D, a Model D, a Neutron and a Crave, all from Behringer.

They all add different tones and textures to the mix.

The point is that I already own a decent quality workstation which should be your first priority.

Also you should take a look at a few VA workstations as well, such as the King Korg, the ASM Hydrasynth or the Studiologic Sledge.

Again these are different ways to expand your sound palette.

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
@anotherscott I need to get away from my PC. I am sitting all day due to my work and disability so I need something interesting to play with. I am not a professional musician so it really doesn't matter that much if its a screwdriver or a hammer but it should still fit in my current entry level tool box. I can't decide between one specialized tool and multi tool. I like them both. :)

@happyrat1 how do you like those Behringer synths? How is DM 6 build quality? BTW the module version of DM 12 is some 70EUR cheaper then keyboard version. I already have a midi controller so should I go with module?

Thanks for your suggestions and patience guys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The DM6 build quality is excellent. It's a heavy and solidly built piece of kit with an excellent keyboard.

The Behringer synths in general are loads of fun to play with and you can get lost for hours creating and tuning familiar and unfamiliar sounds.

As for the choice of Module vs Keyboard, that's a personal choice you have to make.

If you are laying down tracks in a studio a module works just fine.

If you are performing live then you need the extra keys to minimize setup and switching time.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also the Deepmind synths do have aftertouch. If your controller lacks that feature that's another reason to go for a keyboard version.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
3DC
You are on the slippey road of GAS. :cool:

Adding a Synth will not be the end but another beginning,

A 61 / 76 key workstation will then be required,

Then a Mixer

A pair of Powered Monitors comes next

Then an 88 key digital piano/workstation

Then another synth

Then a drum machine

Then a better Arranger

Then a bigger House

Good Luck

3dc

Reaction score
3DC
Good Luck

Thanks for the warning but you are too late. I am already looking at Eurorack Modular Synthesizers rabbit hole. :D

eurorackcolors.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What?! You don't like them? How come? So many sounds, modules, sequencers, combinations, permutations... a rig from heaven for hardware focused guy like you. :D

The problem is people like EuroCRACK Too Much!!!! :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the rack you posted in that picture probably cost around $30 to $40 K to put together. :p

Some of those modules are REALLY spendy...

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
BTW, the rack you posted in that picture probably cost around $30 to $40 K to put together. :p

Some of those modules are REALLY spendy...

Gary ;)

@Biggles stopped at bigger house so I thought this would be a natural progression in the list. Not to worry though, if I ever go on this messy cable route I would certainly pick only Behringer modules. The most expensive is like 99 EUR. :p:D

Reaction score
@anotherscott I need to get away from my PC. I am sitting all day due to my work and disability so I need something interesting to play with.
Ah. When you were talking about hardware to supplement your software setup, I was thiking you intended to mostly use them in tandem. If you intend to use the keyboard by itself, that might shift the focus a little.

I can't decide between one specialized tool and multi tool. I like them both. :)
Well then eventually, you should get both. So now you only have to decide which to get first. ;-)

3dc

Reaction score
Ah. When you were talking about hardware to supplement your software setup, I was thiking you intended to mostly use them in tandem. If you intend to use the keyboard by itself, that might shift the focus a little.

Well then eventually, you should get both. So now you only have to decide which to get first. ;-)

I like things to be organised as much as possible in my "toolbox" and compatible with other "tools" for maximum workflow efficiency. I learned this valuable lesson from you guys. :D

Reaction score
3DC

Adding a Synth will not be the end but another beginning,

A 61 / 76 key workstation will then be required,

Then a Mixer

A pair of Powered Monitors comes next

Then an 88 key digital piano/workstation

Then another synth

Then a drum machine

Then a better Arranger

Then a bigger House

Good Luck

HaHa.....

Yep. My 3 year journey:

RD2000 to learn piano.

That sounds nice, but need a sub for the low end though - my Adam A5xs dont quite go low enough.. Yam HS8 sub

Great, need a synth as well - FA07.

Thats all good, but nothing analogue or with knobs - add a Peak.

Better - needs more polyphony for pads - Virus Ti2 desktop.

Oh - need sequencer as I cant play them all at once - Squarp Pyramid.
What about drums - Tr8s.

Nice - need better control than the FA offers when playing live - replace with a Fantom 7.

Hum - still dont have anything FULLY analogue - Deep Mind 12 Module.

No physical space left - needs VSTs to fill the few gaps , pick up some free ones plus Obsession and repro.
Oh - modular looks fun, but cant afford or have room for a real one - voltage modular VST.

Dont like using a mouse to sound design on the VSTs - need a midi controller, a small one. Hang on this looks perfect...and is a wavetable synth which I dont have - add Argon8 37 key.

Sounds good - but.... could be better. Replace monitors with Neumann KH120s, and the sub with a matching KH750.... Oh and the calibration mic to get the room right.

Nice - need to play when the wifes in bad on nights - Sennheiser HD650 headphones
Oh and a multi channel interface to record properly - Focusrite Scarlet 18i20.

Hum - those headphones out arnt that loud - thats the HD650 300 Ohm load. Entre Ifi ZenCan headphone amp...

Dont THINK Ive left anything out....... Now what will next week bring..

Reaction score
30 years ago synth was a big deal for me, I owned a Moog that turned out not to be in great shape and had too many issues to fix so I then went with a Realistic MG-1 which was a poor man's version of the Moog. It was actually manufactured by Moog. As the years have progressed the synth sound has become less important to me; I'm now more into the electromechanicals (Hammond, Clav, Rhodes, Wurli). Between my PC3's VA synth and my Gemini module's Prophet sounds I get all of the synth sounds that I need.

Ask a Question