Portable amps

Reaction score
Hi its been awhile a lot of work not enough time lol. Ok so for a couple of months i have been thinking about getting a smaller amp i play for my church there are times for a special event i haul around a Roland Kc350 its been ok but kinda feeling heavy so i have been thinking about getting something a bit smaller i thought about the Roland Cube ex also the kc220 but i have noticed that bose has the s1 pro and mow jbl has the eon one compact. I like the fact that the last 2 has builtin Bluetooth i ask to see if anyone has been able to use these type of amps . Sometimes i will go out to these camps of basicly between 30 to 40 people i have a drummer we have a small drum set just for those outings me i have to play the bass and piano that is why i have to lug around the kc350 . Someone also said to use a bass amp a smaller 25 or 40 watt version anybody that has used some type of small setup i would like to hear whatever they think might be a good option

Reaction score
What springs to mind is a Vox VX50KB, I have suggested this before and a member here bought one and was pleased with its performance.

It is a 50W, three channel amp that is in a small lightweight package with 8 inch speaker.

There area few different versions in the range and I have played a Bass through the VX50BA which did impress me and if I was after an amp just for Bass this would be the one for me. It is only one channel so you would need a local mixer if it was for multi instrument use simultaneously.

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at some powered PA speakers (with a 12 inch speaker) which can lighten your load and also improve your keyboard sound. Avoid the budget brands and get a good quality model. Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Hi its been awhile a lot of work not enough time lol. Ok so for a couple of months i have been thinking about getting a smaller amp i play for my church there are times for a special event i haul around a Roland Kc350 its been ok but kinda feeling heavy so i have been thinking about getting something a bit smaller i thought about the Roland Cube ex also the kc220 but i have noticed that bose has the s1 pro and mow jbl has the eon one compact. I like the fact that the last 2 has builtin Bluetooth i ask to see if anyone has been able to use these type of amps . Sometimes i will go out to these camps of basicly between 30 to 40 people i have a drummer we have a small drum set just for those outings me i have to play the bass and piano that is why i have to lug around the kc350 . Someone also said to use a bass amp a smaller 25 or 40 watt version anybody that has used some type of small setup i would like to hear whatever they think might be a good option
I have done my research on keyboard stage amps..sound verses weight and I have been playin for over 40 yrs.I love the stage monitor Electa Voice powered ZLX 12 inch speaker..and you can twin it up for P.a and get crazy with an add on sub and the zlx adjusts to the sub and adds it own treble..buy a cover cause the grill doesnt like doorcases..heavy keyboard amps are in the past..price is can..499.00 avg

Reaction score
I own the EV ELX-112P. I paid $399 for it new. 1000 watts maximum and the volume knob can be dialed back to a whisper if that is what you need. So plenty of reserve power, 37 pounds, clear sound (Keyboard amps sound muffled in comparison) and it is powered and has two inputs. You could use a mixer or forego a mixer and plug into it directly from the keyboard. It can be used as a PA as well. I've had the speaker since 2013 and never have had one issue with it.

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at some powered PA speakers (with a 12 inch speaker) which can lighten your load and also improve your keyboard sound. Avoid the budget brands and get a good quality model.
I agree with this. I'm yet to hear a dedicated "keyboard amp" that sounds anywhere near as good as a quality powered speaker.

I'm currently using a JBL EON 515XT but am about to change over to an EV ZLX12P as the former is getting a little long in the tooth. Both excellent. I use them as monitors not FOH speakers but they'd be able to do that job too assuming you're not playing a concert hall sized room.

Reaction score
Are you guys not going into overkill mode?

Geeze, 12 inch speakers, 1000W, 37 lbs, these will be sizeable lumps of kit to lug around.

Remember the audience is 30-50 people and the 350 is just over 50 lbs in weight

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the great info. My main concern was the small speaker on some of these portable PA some 6in and 8in if it was just playing the piano only than I am more than sure any small amp would work but I have to factor in the bass playing on the piano, fearing that the sound of the bass would overload the small speaker to the point were I would have to lower the volume so much that the drum would take over and that's me thinking I might be wrong. I did hear the Bose s1 pro with some background music but the guy at the music store was so busy he was the only one working in the keyboard/ audio section I did not want to bother him trying to set one up for me to try maybe on a next trip.

Reaction score
If you are into Bose gear check out the L1.

I go to a couple of guitar exhibitions a year and they have the L1’s in the main performance hall where artists and bands peform.

Reaction score
I agree with this. I'm yet to hear a dedicated "keyboard amp" that sounds anywhere near as good as a quality powered speaker.

I'm currently using a JBL EON 515XT but am about to change over to an EV ZLX12P as the former is getting a little long in the tooth. Both excellent. I use them as monitors not FOH speakers but they'd be able to do that job too assuming you're not playing a concert hall sized room.
Cowboy, check out ELX112P; about 5 pounds heavier than the ZLX counterpart, but the cabinets are wood rather than ABS. A much warmer sound. My buddy DanL (from Music Network) uses 2 in his floyd band. They carry the bass great for the Floyd synth patches. You might get a price break on it. It does cost a little more than the ZLX line but I think it is worth it. Something to chew on....

Reaction score
Hi i have read about those also but really looking for something a bit more compact its not a once a week gig since it will only to see maybe 2 or even 3 times of use per year and to spend 800 or 900 just to see closet time, like i said before i have a PA system including my RolandKC350 that goes with me to most of my outings the weight of lugging around especially on a small 20 to 50 people after awhile gets to you . So basicly what i am looking for is something small and light weight that can perform the piano and bass combination without breaking up .Up to now i saw a few recommendations from this wonderful group of musicians.

Reaction score
Hi i believe i was talking about the Bose L1 new. i know that the s1 pro is 599 on most sites the jbl compact 549 if i am not mistaken there might be other sites with lower price

Reaction score
The Electro voice was in the ballpark of 399 i was also looking at that one being that its a bit bigger weight really is not that bad around 37pounds

Reaction score
The ElectroVoice ZXa1 is only 19 lbs, not too pricey, and sounds quite good. And it can even keep up with a live rock drummer and guitarist, if you ever need it to.

Reaction score
Off the wall suggestion.

I do know of some bassists who use Blackstar Fly Bass amps or the Superfly model. Not very powerful but more than enough for small audiences.

I have even used a Boss Katana Mini, all 6W of it for a presentation to groups of 20 to 100 people.

Do let us know what you decide.

Ask a Question