portable keyboard

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m going to buy a keyboard soon. I’m planning to move it quite a bit (to rehearse and play gigs). I’m moving to London, and though the city has good public transport, I will have to use the underground, walk a lot… (I don’t have a car).

Could you give some advice so that moving around with the keyboard isn’t too tiring? Do you know what people usually do in this situation (if they buy keyboards that aren’t heavy even if the keyboards aren’t that good, or what do they do)?

Cheers!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Look at it like backpacking. Every pound you shave off of your gear is one less pound you have to haul around.

For a good 88 keyboard under $1000 and under 25 lbs take a look at the Casio Privia PX-5S.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul14/articles/casio-privia-px5s.htm

Just remember, every decade you age stuff gets 10 lbs heavier :D :D :D

Also a roadworthy flight case for any keyboard adds another 20 lbs to the mix.

Gary

Reaction score
Generally speaking weighted action keyboards are heavier, so that's something to consider when you make your purchase. It's hard to recommend anything specific without knowing what style of music you'll be playing and what you'll use the 'board for, but if having a weighted action is not a big deal, there are a lot of really nice sounding pro keyboards out there these days that are very light indeed.

I also use SKB keyboard and mixer bags which are lightweight but sturdy in construction. They're not as robust as proper flight cases but they're padded and quite rigid, so will protect your gear well without adding too much weight. An added bonus is the keyboard cases have wheels at one end so you don't have to bear the entire weight of your keyboard yourself, or you can use the shoulder straps. I wouldn't use them on a plane but they're more than good enough for long road trips in the car (or public transport if you must).

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Thank you guys.

Happyrat1, the Casio Privia PX-5S is still a bit too heavy, but it looks like a cool keyboard. Maybe I'll buy it to keeep it in my house.

CowboyNQ. I really like those bags. But do you usually have to also carry a stand and a speaker for gigs?If so, how do you carry them?

Thanks again

Reaction score
CowboyNQ. I really like those bags. But do you usually have to also carry a stand and a speaker for gigs?If so, how do you carry them?

Hey Analarana,

That would depend very much on the style of gigs you're doing. I carry a mountain of gear to some of my gigs - but I have an SUV so obviously that makes life easier.

A speaker is not mandatory if the venues you are gigging have a PA system which one hopes would include a sound guy to run the mixing desk, and some foldback so you can hear yourself on stage.

However if it's a smaller style of place and it's just you up there by yourself with your keys, yes you'll need to tote an amp of some description around. That would present a fair challenge on public transport I must admit. I don't have any genius suggestions on how to deal with that other than bring a mate and give him free entry to your show as a thank you!

As far as a stand goes, if you've only got one light-weight keyboard, a single-braced X-stand would do the job, and not weigh too much. You could hold that in one hand while dragging your keyboard bag in the other.

Lastly, if you gig regularly at a particular venue you might look into storing your monitor (if you need one) and stand on-site to save you lugging it around on the tube?

If I'm brutally honest, I'm not sure the life of a gigging keyboard player is massively compatible with commuting on the tube - but maybe some of the ideas above may assist?

Cheers!

Reaction score
There are several good choices in this area. Keyboards have different strengths and weaknesses; some are strong on piano, others strong on organ, others strong on synthesizers; most are multitimbral; some are monotimbral. It would help to understand what you are going to use the keyboard for, i.e. what type of sounds are you looking for out of the keyboard. The only requirement you've mentioned so far is weight. Do you need fully weighted, semi-weighted or synth weighted keys? Do you need 61, 73/76 or 88 keys? This type of information helps to narrow the recommended target.

Reaction score
Haha, it's probably true that gigging and commuting aren't compatible. But I'm sure I'm not the first not the last person to do it! Now I just need a mate with an SUV! Man, that was very informative. It will come in handy in London. Thanks a lot.

Delaware Dave, I don't think I could walk with an 88 nor a fully eighted keyboard. I could probalby do with synth wieghted keys, but hopefully at least 73 keys, as I'm used to playing the acustic piano. I would mainly be playing rock and blues. And I don't want to spend more than 500 euros. I might get a second hand keyboard.

Reaction score
If you're looking to play rock and blues piano on a low-cost lightweight board with a non/semi-weighted action, my first choice would be a Numa Compact. After that, a Yamaha NP-31 or NP-11.

Ask a Question