Portamento effect using a KX-5 and PSR-D1

Reaction score
I recently bought a KX-5 keytar over the phone. I've had it out gigging twice now, hooked to my Yamaha DJX.

It didn't come with the battery harness, so I picked up a couple Powerex 9 volt batteries and I'm using those. I found a six AA cell harness at mouser.com, and I will order a couple for it. I have a set of AA cells for it once the harness arrives.

I have two questions here:
First, the portamento control seems to do nothing at all. I've tried it with the mono/poly switch in both positions, and still nothing. The DJX is set to Remote Channel 1, meaning that it picks up just a few MIDI signals on that channel and ignores anything else. I tried setting the KX-5 to channel 1 and 2 both, still no portamento although with the KX-5 on channel 2, the DJX responds to patch changes. According to the DJX manual, it is supposed to receive portamento signals from an external source.

Second, what options are there for power? The PowerEx batteries are OK, but I had to modify them to get them to fit the battery bay. I almost broke them both trying to extract them,, and this caused the KX-5 to act really weird during a live performance as its power cycled on and off. I found that Scotch tape wrapped around the bottom of the 9 volt battery allows it to be extracted easily, but I would like to run the KX-5 on AA cells the way it was designed.

Ask a Question