Power on...no sound

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Yamaha YPT-230. I turned the power on but there’s no sound coming out. It’s powered on through the AC adapter not batteries. But even when we tried just batteries there was still no sound. Volume has been played with. Any suggestions?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Press the FUNCTION button until you get to function number 015 ("Local"). If that function is turned off, turn it back on. It's used to turn off the keyboard's "Local Control" so the keyboard won't make any sounds when you play it, for situations where you've connected the keyboard to other equipment and want to use it as a MIDI controller rather than as an instrument.

If you've used headphones or other audio cables with the keyboard, another thing to check is that an adapter hasn't been left in the keyboard's PHONES/OUTPUT jack. The keyboard has a jack for a 1/4" (6.35mm) audio plug, but these days it's common for headphones to have 1/8" (3.5mm) audio plugs, since the audio jacks on most computers and laptops are for 1/8" plugs. The keyboard is designed so its built-in speakers will cut off if an audio plug is inserted into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack, and that includes a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter-- even if you don't have anything plugged into the adapter.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's still under warranty contact Yamaha and get an RMA for a warranty repair.

Otherwise, unless you are able to open it up and repair it yourself it's not worth the cost of a repair.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If it's a YPT-230, I'm guessing it's no longer under warranty, since the latest YPT-2xx model (released in the first half of 2017) is the YPT-260, and the PSR-E/YPT models have been updated regularly every 2 years-- therefore the YPT-230 would have been released in the first half of 2011.

I don't recommend trying to diagnose and repair the keyboard yourself unless you know what you're doing, but in case you're able to attempt a repair or know someone who can attempt it, the service manual for the PSR-E233/YPT-230 can be downloaded from the following site:

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=Yamaha PSR E 233&kategoria=&kat2=all

If repairing it is out of the question, a used PSR-E3xx/YPT-3xx model might be available through your local Craigslist or similar type of site. Of course, in general it's always better to buy new than used, so if you can afford a new PSR-EW300 that would be a good replacement, as it has 76 keys instead of just 61, plus it has a velocity-sensitive keyboard, and more options (voices, styles, and functions) overall than the YPT-230.

Reaction score
Have the you check the individual SONG Volume button (diamond) on the right hand side, as well and the including the Style and Voice buttons as well . Ensure that the "Acmp" button is on, and of cause your master volume is all the way up.

Also, make sure you do not have anything in the head Phone socket, this will kill the sound to the speakers.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Good point about the Voice volume. Also, if running on battery power, try putting a complete set of fresh batteries in, as low battery power can result in abnormal keyboard behavior.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Jin Yang
Firstly please understand that I am not a techo. Gary and Michael are very knowledgeable about these things and they offer very good advice. However, if I had your problem, this how I would be thinking . . (as a layman).
The power is getting through to light up everything. So the batteries and/or power adaptor are okay. The speakers are not responding and could mean that the fault is a computer glitch. The speakers are not getting the right signal. The circuit is broken. So here is a thought to clear the glitch (what I woud do) . . I would perform a factory reset thinking the keyboards inbuilt computer may then act normally and send the correct signal through the circuit to the speakers. That is just my layman practical brain thinking:rolleyes:.
If that fails . .
I would ask, do the speakers emit any sound at all? When turning the knob is there any crackle or hum? If so the potentiometer may have some grit or moisture in it. Try a squirt of dewatering fluid. (WD40 or CRC).

These are just ideas and not necessarily cures. Not even sure if the WD40 is a good idea or not . . GARY?

What is the history of this unit? Did you buy it recently? Has it been in storage?
If so in a dry atmosphere? Did the fault happen suddenly? Has it been dropped or damaged?
Is it worth fixing? Probably not. It is not an expensive unit. As Gary and Michael have already said . . Maybe just get yourself a newer model and give this one the flick.:(
Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks!
I always thought CRC and WD40 were the same thing.
WD stands for "water dispersment"
The main ingredient is fish oil in both products.
What is the difference?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
WD40 is bad for plastics and leaves oily residue. An insulator. Terrible for electronics.

Though they have expanded their product line and now sell a contact cleaner formula as well.

Top of the line are the DeOxit products but they want crazy amounts of money for those.

Basically any generic contact cleaner and lubricant will fit the bill.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks!
I will keep my WD40 in the workshop and head off to buy some "contact cleaner"
Cheers ray

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a psr-e263 and it does not start. Not even with batteries. Though, it makes a poping sound when I hold the on button, it does not turn on. And there is no lights on it.

Reaction score
Welcome

It is time to buy a new Keyboard, the 263 is not really a very good board.

Treat yourself and look at buying a E463 or an equivalent Casio or Korg.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have a psr-e263 and it does not start. Not even with batteries. Though, it makes a poping sound when I hold the on button, it does not turn on. And there is no lights on it.

Drill two one inch holes thru either end and turn it into a decorative table lamp :)

Watch Martha Stewart for instructions. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question