Power on...no sound

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
is there a way i could fix it?
Sure. Go to a community college for a three year electrotechnology program and buy a couple of thousands worth of test gear.

It's worth what? $50 on Ebay?

Scrap it and replace it with something better

Reaction score
A Yamaha YPT-230 is the bottom of the keyboard tree, the current model is the 270 which retails here in the UK for £139.

We are being flippant simply because the keyboard is not worth the effort of even buying a set of screwdrivers to open it up.

A Yamaha PSR E463 is £289 and whilst still a beginners keyboard it is the top of the range and it is vastly superior to the YPT.

Watch the reviews online about this keyboard

Here is a Casio CT X3000 which retails for £248

& the Casio CT X500 which is £315

Reaction score
I have a psr-e263 and it does not start. Not even with batteries. Though, it makes a poping sound when I hold the on button, it does not turn on. And there is no lights on it.
Honestly, What you have been told is true, they are not worth fixing and are cheap to buy and really unless you want to "play around" with it yourself; to teach yourself....... don't bother trying to fix it. Even Yamaha do not make software updates for these low end keyboards; you get what you pay for. Just save up and get a better keyboard especially a E463 or even a Casio CTX 3000/ 5000 ( if you can).

Reaction score
It's quite common for the capacitors on the sound board to fail for Yamaha digital pianos. If you can turn the piano on but have no audio, this is likely the issue. You can replace them yourself or bring the board to an electronics repair shop and have them solder in new capacitors for a few dollars.

Ask a Question