powered speakers recommendation

Reaction score
Hey guys any advice on a pair of good powered cabinets, lightweight (less than 40lbs - for small to med gigs) less than $300 each or so?

Last year I bought a powered PA cabinet from Carvin. Real nice fifteen and horn. I really like playing in stereo for gigs now and I wanted to get a second. My Nord piano and organ sounds are much better. Carvin discontinued my model and they said there is similar one but is a little less powerful. They also said I might or probably would hear some difference between the two especially if they were very close together. This company is on the west coast and I'm on the east. I like the cabinet I have and it's not to heavy to carry (41lbs) - but I wouldn't want anything heavier.

I guess could try to sell the one I have on Ebay or Craigs List.

Reaction score
Generally, yes. I have a friend who owns a Crumar Mojo and a Nord Piano. He was auditioning speakers; he auditioned the QSC K-12 and K-10's. He said the K-12 actually created too dark a sound in his view, and thought that for overall balance the K-10's sounded the best for piano and organ. I'm thinking these speakers will be of lesser quality than the QSC (and of course much less cost) and that the 12" in this case will probably be a better fit. For the price I'd give them a run; worse case scenario you'd have to return them ....

Reaction score
I was contacted by Carvin (the company which a bought my LM15A last year and now this model is discontinued) telling me they found someone selling a LM15A in their West Coast Ebay area. This would be a match for me. They say it's blemish but in good working condition. The price is $299.00 + $29 for shipping. I paid $450 for mine new. Carvin still has their PM15A (which was their lower model) now selling for $299.

I'm thinking this over for a day or so. I don't if the older one for sale would have the same quality sound if it has been used for awhile and not in "perfect cosmetic condition". Anyone have any suggestions or have you had any experience buying used speaker cabinet(s).

Reaction score
You mentioned in your original post that you ".. like the cabinet I have and it's not to heavy to carry (41lbs)..". So you know what you have and pretty much know what to expect from it. As far as the blemish, if you're gigging regularly you can probably expect a ding or two. I'd go with what you've already experienced and you won't have any surprises. My former band used Carvin speakers ( I think they were also LM 15's) and had to replace the horn drivers. The replacement drivers were reasonably priced and sounded just like the old ones. Personally I'd go with what you know.

Reaction score
I'm holding off on making a decision, but I've playing around with getting one higher quality speaker and maybe another later. After a lot of reading in different forums the EV 12 and the QSC 10s are sought after for high quality. I always thought a keyboard player would need a 15" and a HD, but apparently that's not the case. Different companies seem to have a different size that meets our needs. It's hard to imagine that a 10" speaker would be able to cut through with a band medium sized places. But as it was said in the previous post a 12" could sound dark.

There is also talk of the Yamaha DXR Series (12") as being excellent and lower priced $699.99 and 10"
$599.99.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thoughts or knowledge of the DXR speakers?

Reaction score
I didn't mention the QSC K-10 because it was out of your price range of $300, in fact it is more like 2x the price. But if you are going to go down that route then yes I would recommend the K-10. The K-12 is bass heavy, perhaps too bass heavy. The K-10 will carry enough bass, believe it or not, and weighs in at around 32 pounds vs. the 41 pound K-12. This thread might help you:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2423794/

Also, if you have a lead on a Carvin LM15A I'd be interested in perhaps pursuing that lead if you are no longer interested.

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm still gathering information and I'm trying to decide on what to do.The smaller, lighter QSC K-10 does sound attractive. I guess I like to ask a lot of questions, etc. before deciding (especially big purchases).

I'll let you know if I rule out the other Carvin and give you the info on it.

Reaction score
Hey, I just purchased one of these at a great price. I can attest that it sounds fantastic, slightly better sounding than the QSC K12 and much, much cheaper, i.e. only $399/each. Net weight 37 pounds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Electro-...o_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item5d38441bb3

And here is a reviewer:

Thanks Dave!
Great review and the Pro Star price for the used one is very attractive. Seriously considering this. I like the weight of the QSC 10 (32lbs?) but the EV seems like it is a better all around choice. I see it also comes with the 1yr warranty and they are authorized dealers. I bought my Nord case from them.

Are you still interested in the Carvin cabinet or do you know of anyone that might want to buy it? It's in good shape only a year old ($300). I realize you just bought the EV, but thought I'd ask anyway. I also want to sell my Juno di; in case you know of anyone.

It's rated at 350watts. I like the fact that the EV 12 is rated at 1000 and could give me some strength against the guitar army ;)

Reaction score
The only con against the speaker is that it is built using plywood, unlike the QSC which is ABS plastic. I think that is why it sounds a little better and weighs a couple of pounds more than the K10 but still less than the K12. The outside is also wood so I'm guessing it is prone to getting nicked up (much like the Motion Sound Pro 3T). Other than that it sounds super and has plenty of power. Check this video where this reviewer points this out:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=6a3RLgYnbQE

Ask a Question