Pre-purchase questions about the K2700, help from current owners pls.

Reaction score
My PC3x just kicked the bed. I'm shopping for a new board.

Honestly, I hadn't initially leaned towards a Kurz again--I was planning on getting something simpler, w/ more direct knobs, like a Yamaha YC or (if I win lotto) stage 3. But the K2700 has my favorite Fatar tp40L keybed, which is a big draw. And it's cheaper than the YC88. So I have some questions and am hoping to get help.

SOUND QUESTIONS: is the 2700 much better than the PC3?
I have zero interest in making my own sounds from scratch using menus, and I will probably never load a single sample. I just want solid sounds and (ideally) simple tweaking of the most-obvious criteria (filters, distortion, etc.)
My PC3x sounds are fine but not stellar. For example, I find that there are some pretty hard velocity transfers on the #26 Wurlitzer that I normally play, and quite a few of the pianos feel like they have the same issue.
I wouldn't pay for a 2700 to get the same quality of sounds as I had on my PC3x a decade ago; I expect a whole lot of improvement. Will I find it?

EFFECTS: EASE OF USE?
One thing that I always hated was how annoying it was to try to just load a simple effect on the PC3. With no dedicated controls and all those menus, a decision to "add a bit of drive" or "let's try this patch with a compressor" was annoying as heck.
This seems the same on the K2700, --unless I'm missing something...? Am I correct in that you have to dive into menus and screens every time you want to fiddle with effects?

Reaction score

Honestly, I hadn't initially leaned towards a Kurz again--I was planning on getting something simpler, w/ more direct knobs, like a Yamaha YC or (if I win lotto) stage 3. But the K2700 has my favorite Fatar tp40L keybed, which is a big draw. And it's cheaper than the YC88. So I have some questions and am hoping to get help.

I have zero interest in making my own sounds from scratch using menus, and I will probably never load a single sample. I just want solid sounds and (ideally) simple tweaking of the most-obvious criteria (filters, distortion, etc.)
My PC3x sounds are fine but not stellar. For example, I find that there are some pretty hard velocity transfers on the #26 Wurlitzer that I normally play, and quite a few of the pianos feel like they have the same issue.
I wouldn't pay for a 2700 to get the same quality of sounds as I had on my PC3x a decade ago; I expect a whole lot of improvement. Will I find it?

One thing that I always hated was how annoying it was to try to just load a simple effect on the PC3. With no dedicated controls and all those menus, a decision to "add a bit of drive" or "let's try this patch with a compressor" was annoying as heck.
This seems the same on the K2700, --unless I'm missing something...? Am I correct in that you have to dive into menus and screens every time you want to fiddle with effects?
keeping the answers simple:

SOUND QUESTIONS: is the 2700 much better than the PC3? EP's, acoustic pianos, Clav, immensely. Alot of the K2700 has the Kore 64 sounds which were available on the PC3x. So if you had a Kore 64 board in the PC3x expect the same there.

EFFECTS: EASE OF USE? It's still VAST and pretty much the same. There are some differences with dial to control certain things directly on the keyboard itself, but only a handful of changes.

Have you considered a Forte? It is the flagship for the acoustic piano, i.e. it has the largest acoustic piano sample and is the best sounding from a piano perspective. It could be a cheaper solution while still delivering what you need.

Here's the comparison chart:

Reaction score

Hi,
I have PC2X and PC3K6(with Kore64) Kurzweil + Kawai MP5 as a secondary/backup 88 keys keybaord.
I am now thinking to buy a new 88 keys keyb. and sell MP5
I am comparing Montage, Nautilus, Fantom, K2700

What about your sensations with sound of K2700 and PC3 ?
Did you finally get the K2700 ?
My main gear would be K2700 and PC3K6 but I am afraid the sound palette will be no enriched so much switching PC2X --> K2700.

Ask a Question