Premix, or DI into the soundboard?

Reaction score
I have been using a small mixer to premix my keyboards, sending only a left and right output to our band’s mixer. This has always worked fairly well for me in the past. Typically, I run 2-4 keyboards, and sometimes an acoustic guitar, and a saxophone microphone. We recently upgraded the band’s mixer to a digital Allen & Heath 40 channel. Our sound tech would rather I run directly into the board, since we have enough channels. He wants separate control of all of my keyboards, because he’s a Nazi control freak! LOL I’m thinking about purchasing a Behringer 8 channel DI and a snake to go from the DI to the mixer. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
I have been using a small mixer to premix my keyboards, sending only a left and right output to our band’s mixer. This has always worked fairly well for me in the past. Typically, I run 2-4 keyboards, and sometimes an acoustic guitar, and a saxophone microphone. We recently upgraded the band’s mixer to a digital Allen & Heath 40 channel. Our sound tech would rather I run directly into the board, since we have enough channels. He wants separate control of all of my keyboards, because he’s a Nazi control freak! LOL I’m thinking about purchasing a Behringer 8 channel DI and a snake to go from the DI to the mixer. Any suggestions? Thanks
You never mentioned how you monitor yourself. You mention that you use a small mixer to premix your keyboards. Do you also feed that mixer into a pair of powered speakers to monitor yourself? There are several ways to solution; you haven't yet mentioned how you receive monitor audio, i.e. whether your mixer feeds your own monitors or whether the house sends back a mixed line into a vocal monitor that you hear your keys from. A better explanation of your setup is necessary to make a recommendation.

Just as an aside, I mix my keyboards into a personal mixer, send an output to my PPA and send a line to FOH. I do this so that I can control my overall monitor volume without impacting the signal that goes to the FOH. If I need more or less volume or need to balance out the keys I don't want to be trying to make contact with the FOH while performing, especially when he's not paying attention (usually the case) and there is no one there to respond to me. I can make my own adjustments on the fly instantly. This is my preference.

Reaction score
For years, I’ve used a powered speaker. I would premix my keyboards with an Ashley line mixer, or most recently a Yamaha MG10XU, and send the main outputs to my QSC Touchmix 16. I would send my own separate mix back to my monitor. This worked great! My current band insists on using in-ears, and I hate them! And, I’m not crazy about the way the sound guy mixes. But, the band is working all the time and making more money than I have ever made before. The only good thing about the in-ears is that I can hear my vocals better. This new high end digital board has a few more monitor EQ options, so hopefully we can make the mix sound better.

I think we have discovered that most of the hum and noise is coming from my Hammond XK1C. Both the Kronos and Nautilus have 1/4” TRS Balanced outputs, so they shouldn’t require DI’s. We have not been able to find any specs. on the Hammond, but I believe that they’re just 1/4” unbalanced outputs. I plan to purchase a stereo DI just for the Hammond and run all keyboards directly to the board.

Reaction score
I think if a soundy told me I had to run every keyboard straight to the desk without submixing I would be making it their problem to provide the requisite DI’s.

Reaction score
I think if a soundy told me I had to run every keyboard straight to the desk without submixing I would be making it their problem to provide the requisite DI’s.
I’d rather buy the stuff I need and buy GOOD equipment, than trust whatever the sound guy provides. I did buy one stereo DI for my Hammond. Both Korg keyboards have balanced outputs, so I purchased premium TRS to XLR cables for them. I’m going to continue using the Yamaha MG10XU mixer for a couple more gigs until we’re a little more familiar with the A&H SQ6.

Reaction score
Fair enough. I have a rule that everything my side of the DI is my responsibility, everything the other side of the DI is the sound tech’s. This includes equipment and sound production. I never gig without a DI, and the provider of the DI is always the soundy unless I specify otherwise.

I always control my own keyboard monitoring and I always submix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbmusichelp

Latest Threads