Prince keyboards during diams and pearl album/ tour

Reaction score
hi does anybody know what keyboards where used during the diams and pearl album/ tour

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If there are any Prince fan clubs, they might be the best people to ask a question like that of-- unless it's possible to ask an actual band member or roadie, which a dedicated fan club would probably be in a better position to do.

Music Bird

Foreign Music Genres Nerd
Reaction score
Maybe Korg M1, Roland D-50, Oberheim Matrix-6 or OB-8, and also another digital synth like a DX7? I know Prince used those around that time.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I know that filmmakers often cover product logos with stickers for various reasons. I'm not entirely sure why, since they don't do it with all products. For instance, I once asked a producer why they didn't cover up the logos on cars if they did it on just about everything else, and he said "Because everybody drives cars," which suggests it might have something to do with the manufacturer objecting to having their products shown being used by certain types of people. I know that Apple won't let movies and television shows depict criminals using iPhones and (I presume) iPads. Or it might have something to do with fees of some type-- although that would be odd, since companies will often pay to have their products included for promotional reasons.

Anyway, there could be perfectly legitimate reasons why the logos were covered up, rather than anything to do with wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being seen onstage playing "one of those keyboards." :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually a lot of musical groups are beholden to a particular manufacturer and block out the logos on some of their instruments at concerts because the manufacturers of those items haven't paid them off yet.

Typically on TV when you do see a logo in concert footage or a performance, the show or the group have been bought off by Yamaha or Korg and the advertisers specifically demand that unsponsored products not be revealed.

If you see a Kronos or a Montage prominently displayed on your TV screen I can virtually guarantee that Korg or Yamaha are sponsoring the event at least in part.

Personally I prefer the approach of the keyboardist in the band Sparks who plays a "Ronald" Keyboard :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I know that filmmakers often cover product logos with stickers for various reasons. I'm not entirely sure why, since they don't do it with all products. For instance, I once asked a producer why they didn't cover up the logos on cars if they did it on just about everything else, and he said "Because everybody drives cars," which suggests it might have something to do with the manufacturer objecting to having their products shown being used by certain types of people. I know that Apple won't let movies and television shows depict criminals using iPhones and (I presume) iPads. Or it might have something to do with fees of some type-- although that would be odd, since companies will often pay to have their products included for promotional reasons.

Anyway, there could be perfectly legitimate reasons why the logos were covered up, rather than anything to do with wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being seen onstage playing "one of those keyboards." :)
I think you’ll find Col was being intentionally humorous, Michael. No doubt Prince and his crew used high-end equipment.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining!
I still have a young brain. Heaps to learn.
Pimp and Boa still don't figure to me.

I looked up pimp and keyboards and got a complete different story. Talking about keys being recessed below the housing. ??

Anyway . . Not important.

Reaction score
1:03 in to the video to the left of Prince is the keyboard which is covered in a fluffy pink material of some kind.

Pimp My Ride was an American car customising Show where a wreck of a car was restored, not to original but to over the top finish of questionable style, gaudy materials etc.

The Pimp in American movies and TV shows of the Seventies always had a customised car, fluffy dashboards and seating along with candy pearl paint jobs.

Hence Pimp My Keyboard

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks.
Makes sense to me now!
I never got into flashy cars or 70's movies. Tull, Hendrix, Santana, Cream, Sabbath etc. consumed my days.

I always thought pimp as being a brothel owner.

Just confirms how young my young brain is still learning about stuff! I guess I have so much potential to gather up detail about important issues. lol.

Naive Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks.
Makes sense to me now!
I never got into flashy cars or 70's movies. Tull, Hendrix, Santana, Cream, Sabbath etc. consumed my days.

I always thought pimp as being a brothel owner.

Just confirms how young my young brain is still learning about stuff! I guess I have so much potential to gather up detail about important issues. lol.

Naive Ray

Actually it sort of confirms my suspicions about Australian censorship, not that it's a bad thing ;)

Here in Canada the Heritage Police insist on a certain degree of Canadian Content (or CanCon) in our video and cable broadcasts, but a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE percentage of our "culture" leaks across the border from our neighbour to the south.

Ergo the Americanism "Pimp my ride" is universally understood by an entire nation of frozen voyeurs :D

Basically anyone in North America circa 2000 was familiar with both the tacky reality show and the expression by the same name.

Sometimes I wish I could go thru an entire news broadcast without seeing the Turnip In Chief's orange face. :D :D

I actually envy Australia's isolation. Maybe turning on the TV in the morning shouldn't be a painful experience. ;)

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I actually envy Australia's isolation. Maybe turning on the TV in the morning shouldn't be a painful experience. ;)
I don't bother with the morning TV.
15 minutes of ads and 5 minutes of news repeated 3 times an hour is our morning TV. Nothing to envy Gary.
We get Donald and Boris stories too. They seem to dominate the air waves presently. So we are not so isolated.
Your PM (Justin) seems to run a clean, smooth sailing, trouble free ship. Yeh?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your PM (Justin) seems to run a clean, smooth sailing, trouble free ship. Yeh?

Like you guys we only hear about the other's parliament when someone royally f***s up.

Actually Justin's current polls show him as very much satisfying to the Canuck voter right now.

He's running the biggest deficit ever for the sake of keeping the economy on life support and acting on the very latest science to battle the Covid Crisis. Also almost unheard of is the fact that out of 10 sitting Provincial Premiers none of them currently have any bones to pick with him and actually appreciate Ottawa's help.

The last news item I remember out of Australia was that Cardinal or Bishop who was diddling little boys. As well as this winter's fires.

Let's face it. Nobody cares if the President of France is doing a good job unless he screws up big time. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
What does Boris the Bad and his partner do?

Deliver a Baby Boris to the world and the Press goes Baby crazy.

It is all there is on the News

Meanwhile the Coronavirus death statistics are re-engineered to include thousands of deaths that somehow were missed off the statistics.

It was another Good Day to bury the Bad News.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
At least Philip's driving skills and Harry and Meagan are seeing some peace at last :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Meagan has lost the first round of a Lawsuit against a Brit newspaper so that will not be good for Harry’s fragile mental state.

Hopefully they can have a happy and peaceful life together in Canada he deserves it after the Press basically hounded his Mum to her death, not that the crap French Paramedics did anything effective to save her.

The nature of her death and the abhorrent funeral where two young kids were walking behind their Mum’s coffin whilst the world looked on cannot have been anything other than traumatic for the boys.

It is no wonder that in their teens and twenties they became piss artists and frequently had to be extracted from harm by their security detail.

It is great that both have now matured and are coping with all the pressures the best they can.

Ask a Question