Probably overdone, but...

Reaction score
For years I've been telling myself that I want to learn how to play piano/keyboard, but just never got around to it. Do ya'll have any recommendations?

I need:
1)Something inexpensive, as I'm a poor college student. I'll probably be looking for it used, unless I happen to find a new one for inexpensive.
2)something that is easily portable, since I'm from San Antonio, TX & going to school in West Virginia. So It would need to fit in my car with all the other stuff I have when I'm traveling back & forth for summer vacation & such.
3) I'd be playing for fun, not in a band or anything, so it doesn't need to be awesome & fancy, just sound decent enough and not be too hard to learn on.
4)someone told me to make sure it was pressure sensitive for volume variation.
5)Not sure if I'd need the USB/MIDI stuff... is that stuff just for recording music onto a computer?

My only experience playing was 2 years ago when I messed around on my roommate's keyboard, and learned the beginning part to Five For Fighting's 100 years. What I really want to be able to do is play songs like that and Augustana's Boston, and The Academy is... type music.

Budget... probably around $100, unless I can persuade myself to buy more (and make that money when I get home for the summer & start working!)

Other than private lessons, what do ya'll recommend for learning how to play? are there certain books, or sites or anything?

I'm sorry if I'm asking questions I could have answered by searching, but I didn't really see any other threads that covered what I was looking for. Thanks for ya'lls help!

Reaction score
For that budget you are looking at the very low-end keyboards. I'd suggest you get a used one, but I can't advise much on specific models. You will probably have to do alot of research anyway.

To learn to play, there are many many sources online, you just have to google it really. I would recommend getting a few lessons in the beginning and just asking the teacher to focus on technique. You don't have to continue with it, but learning to play right from the start is very important, and getting a teacher is by far the best way to learn technique. The rest like theory, chords, scales, arpeggios, exercises, pieces, learning to read sheet music can all be found easily on the net and you don't need a teacher to learn those.

If you do have a pc, you could look at getting a midi-controller and using your pc's sound bank to play. It's the cheapest option, and allows for expansion later on if you wish, though will need your pc if you wish to play. Later on you could buy sound banks/synth additionally and just use the midi-controller on them.

Anyway, sorry for the vague reply, I'm tired and going to sleep now.

Ask a Question