problem downloading my created song to an sd-card with casio wk-500 keyboard

Reaction score
Hello, I am having problems with using a sd-card to store a created song with my casio wk-500 keyboard. I have a 2gb card from a walmart and after going through steps to load song and getting a complete indication it comes up with a NO FILE indication. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Reaction score
Read page E62 of the manual. Check with PC if there is a folder named 'MUSICDAT'. If not format the card in the keyboard not in the computer.

Attachments

• wk500.pdf
    126.1 KB · Views: 826
Reaction score
Read page E62 of the manual. Check with PC if there is a folder named 'MUSICDAT'. If not format the card in the keyboard not in the computer.
Thanks for the reply...I did format the card in the keyboard and it shows up in the card on a pc...but when I go to play it back it shows as NO FILE. The manual states to use a card with 2gb or less...was wondering if another card say 1 gb would work better. I am not computer savy so all of this is greek to me.

Reaction score
Hej, hej Bill,
on page E-58 of the manual you can read that SD-cards up to 2 GB are supported.

So as you wrote, you found the file an the SD-card, I presume that it was in the folder 'MUSICDAT' or? And if so, how big was this file I mean how many kbytes.

On the other side record a new song and try to save it to the card and see what happend when you set the keyboard out of power. When you power on and try to load from the SD-card, what happens?

Reaction score
My son looked at it on a pc and the song I created and recorded was very low in kbytes...he said there was more space to add many many more songs...if this makes any sense...it sounds like you suggest trying to play the song again after powering down first? I never powered down after formating the sd-card and then saving the recorded data. I would try this again later after I return from work...again thanks for your patience and response.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Bill,

Just double checking - are you using an SD card or SD-HC? (HC are high capacity cards introduced later - sounds like yu need to get an "old fashioned" SD card (they look the same - but don't have "HC" anyehre on the label)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Bill, songs are saved as a MIDI-file on the keyboard and they are VERY small. So if your son has seen something like only, let's say' 48 kb that is very normal. A song with full orchestra will normally not go much over 100 kb. Meaning that on a 2 GigaByte card as you have, you can save HUNDREDS of songs.
As Goldi and the Y-man suggested already, make sure that your song is saved IN the MUSICDAT folder or your keyboard can NOT find it.

Reaction score
Bill, songs are saved as a MIDI-file on the keyboard and they are VERY small. So if your son has seen something like only, let's say' 48 kb that is very normal. A song with full orchestra will normally not go much over 100 kb. Meaning that on a 2 GigaByte card as you have, you can save HUNDREDS of songs.
As Goldi and the Y-man suggested already, make sure that your song is saved IN the MUSICDAT folder or your keyboard can NOT find it.
Thanks for all your help...I had been trying to play back from the sd card as per the instruction manual with no success. I tried the steps for downloading data from the sd card back to the keyboard and it works. Adding additional songs made a list to select from so everything works fine now.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help...I had been trying to play back from the sd card as per the instruction manual with no success.

Just for my understanding:
Did you find a folder with name 'MUSICDAT' on the SD-card?
If no, format the SD-card on your keyboard again and look the result in the computer.
If yes, what files were in this folder?
If there were some files with suffix .mid than you shoud be able to play this file from the SD-card.

Reaction score
Just for my understanding:
Did you find a folder with name 'MUSICDAT' on the SD-card?
If no, format the SD-card on your keyboard again and look the result in the computer.
If yes, what files were in this folder?
If there were some files with suffix .mid than you shoud be able to play this file from the SD-card.
Yes there was a MUSICDAT folder on the card. I was using the steps from the manual to play a "user song" from the card. There was no such thing in the card. I just missinterpreted the directions in the folder. Thanks for your interest.

Reaction score
If you are trying to play the Casio MIDI file on your computer (not the keyboard) , check the file extension to see if it is a "MID" file> If yes, it should play on your computer. However, your Casio may save the file with it's own special file extension that only the keyboard recognizes. If so, check your owners manual to find out how to save the file as a "standard Midi File" so you computer will recognize it. Don

Reaction score
Ok, everything is fine with my keyboard and the sd card now. I recorded a song 2 steps down in pitch on the keyboard to be compatible with the real song by a group. I saved the song to the sd card. When I play it back through the keyboard I have to have the casio wk-500 preset to the 2 steps down in pitch to get the same result. I thought that since it was saved to the card at the lowered pitch it would play back the same without presetting the keyboard. Was I wrong in assuming this? Thanks...

Reaction score
Not knowing the wk-500, b3maniac is correct, the pitch shift or transpose is not stored. You have to set that before recording.
As example, to do what you want in a Yamaha you have to set under a function knob the keyboard to "keyboard" while it most likely is set to "Master". Than in a recording the "transpose" is recorded. If you don't set it this way, in the play-back the song will sound without a transposed setting.
If it is possible in your kboard you have to look in that direction.
In a few free software programs like Midiplayer by Michael Bedesem or PSRUTI you can change a midi-file to any key you like afterwards.
Hope this set you on the correct 'track' so to speak:) .

Ask a Question